Man attacked in 'unprovoked' incident in downtown Victoria
A Victoria man faces possible charges of aggravated assault and uttering threats after a 65-year-old man was thrown to the ground and stomped in the early hours of Wednesday in what police call an unprovoked attack.
Witnesses of the attack, which took place in the 700-block of Johnson St. around 2 a.m., told police the one man threw the older man to the ground and proceeded to stomp on the victim's head, chest and legs while screaming at him. Witnesses stepped in to stop the attack, at which the assailant fled east on Johnson Street.
Police were nearby and arrested the suspect at the intersection of Johnson and Blanshard streets moments later.
"Witnesses say (the victim) was just minding his own business, walking down the street and this guy just went off on him," said VicPD spokesperson Const. Mike Russell.
The victim was taken to hospital and is recovering from serious but non-life-threatening injuries. He is scheduled to undergo surgery at a later date.
Preston Sabbas, 32, was the subject of a telebail hearing and is due back in court on Oct. 31. He had been to a staff function Tuesday night and was heavily intoxicated when police took him into custody.