News

Condos evacuated after chemical scare

The CRD Hazmat team responds to a potentially dangerous mix of pool chemicals at Parkside Victoria resort and spa this morning. Two workers exposed to the noxious fumes were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure. - Sharon Tiffin/news staff
The CRD Hazmat team responds to a potentially dangerous mix of pool chemicals at Parkside Victoria resort and spa this morning. Two workers exposed to the noxious fumes were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.
— image credit: Sharon Tiffin/news staff

A condominium resort was evacuated this morning after a pool worker improperly mixed chemicals and left the batch overnight.

Victoria Fire Department arrived at the Parkside Victoria resort, 810 Humboldt St., around 8 a.m. and evacuated the east tower as a precautionary measure, said battalion Chief Paul Kowalyk.

"We contacted the two maintenance guys that were here, they were complaining of irritated eyes and throat," Kowalyk said.

B.C. Ambulance responded and took the workers to hospital for precautionary reasons, but both workers appeared "fully functional," he said.

The regional HAZMAT team is currently on scene to dissipate the odour, which is originating from about a dozen 19-litre containers, Kowalyk said. The odour does not pose a threat to passersby and a "hot zone" has been established, he added.

Traffic is expected to be rerouted for several hours.

dpalmer@vicnews.com

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Hunters protest shift favouring non-residents
 
B.C.-only wines to come to some grocery stores
 
Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
#UsedHelps: Connecting Business with Canadian Charities
 
Rent controls here to stay, province says
 
Woman found dead in Yale
Magnotta jury will deliberate for a sixth day
 
“Suspicious” Agassiz house fire under investigation
 
Community generosity overflows the food bank in District of Kent

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.