Contract awarded for Craigflower Bridge replacement
Saanich and View Royal this week approved a contractor to build the replacement Craigflower Bridge.
Don Mann Construction Ltd. was awarded the contract, having submitted the lowest bid of $15,896,000. That price covers the cost of the bridge, as well as all upgrades to roadways on either side of the bridge.
The project has already received $10,775,000 in grants and federal gas tax funding to pay for the upgrade. Saanich will pay 60 per cent of the outstanding costs, View Royal will cover the remaining 40 per cent.
The 80-year-old, timber-beam span is slated to be replaced by a three-lane steel bridge, double the width of the existing bridge.
Construction will begin in April and is expected to last six months.