- BC Games
- BC Jobs
- Oak Bay News
- Peninsula News Review
- Saanich News
- Goldstream News Gazette
- Real Estate Victoria
Transit opens bus for input on new Victoria routes
The Victoria Regional Transit Commission wants public input before it moves ahead with a proposed bus lane and queue-jumper lanes between Victoria and the West Shore.
Over the next week, B.C. Transit employees will travel on a decommissioned bus throughout Greater Victoria to explain proposed congestion solutions. They include bus-only lanes along Douglas Street and queue jumper lanes along McKenzie Avenue and the Island Highway between View Royal and Colwood.
“Our hope is that enough people see buses moving straight on through and passing all the cars, and it will become apparent to more folks that buses are the way to go,” said Susan Brice, VRTC chair.
Residents can also submit feedback to the proposed plan online at bctransit.com/transitfuture.
A summary of public input will be presented to the commission at its next regularly scheduled meeting on June 27, when the plan is expected to be finalized.
“Even though many cities have designated bus lanes, it will still be something new for our region when it comes about, so our hope and expectation is the public will be behind it,” Brice said.
Transit Future Bus schedule:
• June 5, B.C. legislature (in front of building off Government St.), 9:30-11 a.m.
• June 5, Victoria City Hall (Douglas Street side), noon-2 p.m.
• June 6, Camosun College Interurban campus (Centre Courtyard), 10 a.m.-noon
• June 7, Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre, 7–8:30 a.m.
• June 7, Millstream Village parking lot, noon-3 p.m.
• June 8, Langford City Centre Park, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
• June 8, Mayfair Shopping Centre, 2-4 p.m.
• June 10, UVic Student Union Building, 10 a.m.-noon
• June 10, Camosun College Lansdowne Campus (Public Square), 1-3 p.m.