- BC Games
Fire prevention week heats up Victoria
It's Fire Prevention Week across Canada, and the City of Victoria is reminding residents about safe kitchen cooking.
National Fire Protection Association research shows forty per cent of home fires begin in the kitchen, more than any other place in the home. Cooking fires are also the leading cause of home fire-related injuries.
The Victoria Fire Department will be attending local elementary schools this week to participate in fire drills and promote fire prevention.
Tips for cooking:
- turn off the stove when leaving the room
- Use a timer
- If you have young children, use the stove’s back burners whenever possible. Keep children and pets at least one metre away from the stove.
- When you cook, wear clothing with tight-fitting sleeves.
- Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic bags, towels and anything else that can burn away from the stovetop.
- Clean up food and grease from burners and stovetops.