- BC Games
Tips for a safe and healthy holiday season
The holiday season can be a busy time for emergency departments, Island Health reminds you to take a few simple steps to avoid unnecessary trips to the hospital.
• For non-urgent care during office hours, call your family doctor or the doctor on call for the practice or clinic.
• Consider going to a local walk-in clinic. Call ahead to check the clinic’s hours.
• Try to see your doctor before the holidays, if you have any developing health concerns.
• Note the holiday hours of your local pharmacy or drug store, and ensure your prescriptions are up to date and filled prior to the holidays.
• Call HealthLink BC at 8-1-1 for confidential health information and non-emergency services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For deaf and hearing-impaired assistance (TTY), call 7-1-1.
• If you are concerned about a possible poisoning or exposure to a toxic substance, call Poison Control at 1-800-567-8911.
If at any time you feel that you need urgent medical attention, do not hesitate to go to the hospital emergency department or call emergency services at 911.