News

Early morning fire toasts Italian Bakery in Victoria

A fire broke out in the back of a bakery in Victoria's Upper Quadra Village early this morning, causing an estimated $160,000 in damage but no injuries.

It took 3 fire trucks and 19 firefighters to put out the flames at Italian Bakery, 3197 Quadra St. around 4 a.m. this morning. Victoria police also attended the scene.

The fire has been deemed accidental and originated in the kitchen at the rear of the business, said Battalion Chief Mike Stark.

"The fire was caused due to improper clearance (of) combustible materials," he said. "The oven, which was used for baking operations, was left on (and) unattended. There were product containers made of paper stored on top of the oven against the exhaust ducting, and bags of flour were stored against the side of the oven, blocking two oven vents."

Crews were able to contain the fire to the kitchen with no injuries and no damage to surrounding properties.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

High risk offender wanted B.C.-wide, say Vancouver Police
 
FCANCER AND FAMILIES-Part 2: Family knew little of children’s cancer
 
Eight challenge Dean Fortin for Victoria mayoralty
Welcome Wagon honours long time businesses
 
Flu shot-or-mask rule upheld by arbitrator
 
Cyclists tout green crossing over ravine
Qualicum Beach arts site sits empty
 
Distilling diversity displayed during annual fundraiser
 
Seven great Remembrance Day reads from around B.C.

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.