News

Apartment fire in Vic West prompts caution from firefighters

A top-floor suite at a Vic West character home is uninhabitable today after a coil heater overloaded an extension cord.

Victoria fire crews were called to the home at 515 Wilson St. on Wednesday morning around 6:45 a.m.

Inside, they found a man struggling to put out a hallway fire that was spreading from the carpet up the walls of his suite. The man had been continuously running a heater, putting an extension cord under constant load, said Battalion Chief Mike Stark.

"The remaining occupants of the building had not been alerted to the fire and had not evacuated the building prior to Fire Department arrival," Stark said. "The suite did not have a working smoke alarm."

Stark reminds residents that smoke alarms are a requirement of the B.C. Building Code and City of Victoria bylaws.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Family Day boasts flurry of fun across Capital Region
 
B.C. lawyers vote to overturn Christian law school recognition
 
Wheels in motion
ELECTION 2014: Why don’t people vote in municipal elections?
 
First-time gym goers win year-long fitness sponsorship at Bodynetix
 
Shovel in the dirt closer
Feds, province foresee labour shortage
 
Students want heaping platters of pasta to aid food bank
 
Halloween not too scary for police in North Cowichan/Duncan

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 31 edition online now. Browse the archives.