News

Fire at Oak Bay Recreation Centre stifled by staff

Just before 10 p.m. on Feb. 25, the Oak Bay Fire Department answered a call at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre for a reported structure fire.

When fire crews arrived they were met by Oak Bay Recreation staff who reported a fire in the refrigeration room had been extinguished by a staff member using a portable fire extinguisher.

An investigation into the incident revealed that a battery operated ice edger, which was stored and charged in the refrigeration room had ignited. The room was filled with smoke and light smoke was noticed in parts of the recreation complex.

"Quick action by Oak Bay Recreation staff with a portable fire extinguisher helped to minimize the fire damage in the refrigeration room," said fire prevention officer Rob Kivell.

The ice edger was removed from the refrigeration room by the Oak Bay firefighters who then removed the smoke from the complex.

Oak Bay Fire Investigators are investigating the incident with the assistance of the Provincial Electrical Safety Inspector.

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Victoria Royals unable to hold off Kelowna Rockets
 
Backyard breakfast
 
Part 1: The mushroom madness
ELECTION 2014: Alberni votes for change
 
Hupacasath raises flag
 
A Green Party in Parksville
Speed bump
 
Tom Jackson making change
 
The Week - March 2

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 21 edition online now. Browse the archives.