Small hedge fire sparked near Government House

Fire caused by discarded cigarette and quickly doused by crews

  • Wed Sep 28th, 2016 3:00pm
  • News

Royal watchers may have wondered about the sound of sirens near Government House Tuesday evening as firetrucks responded to a report of a structure fire at 1346 Rockland Ave. — a residence close to Government House, where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are staying.

It turned out it was a back hedge and fence on fire, and not the residence at that address. The fire, caused by a discarded cigarette, was quickly extinguished without any further problems.

The Duke and Duchess were not at Government house at the time, having travelled to B.C.’s interior for a whirlwind of visits there.