Victoria News Staff

Cuban third base coach Jorge Oliveras gives a signal and screams out a command to his players in the field. (Photo by Christian J. Stewart)

Cubans down Victoria HarbourCats 5-2 in Monday evening action

Cuban pitch Essi Fuentes leads a strong visiting squad

Cuban third base coach Jorge Oliveras gives a signal and screams out a command to his players in the field. (Photo by Christian J. Stewart)
Tuesday will see a high of 25 C with an overnight low of 14 C. (File photo)

Tuesday will see sun

Plus your weekly forecast

Tuesday will see a high of 25 C with an overnight low of 14 C. (File photo)
The Shamrocks get a shot at redemption when they play Nanaimo on Thursday. (Facebook/Victoria Shamrocks)

Victoria Shamrocks hit the road for key early season match-ups

Shamrocks get a shot at redemption with a match against Nanaimo Timbermen

The Shamrocks get a shot at redemption when they play Nanaimo on Thursday. (Facebook/Victoria Shamrocks)
The ninth annual Northwest Deuce Days is returning to Victoria from July 18-21 (File contributed/ Destination Greater Victoria)

1,400 classic cars come to Victoria as Northwest Deuce Days return

After three-year hiatus, Northwest Deuce Days runs from July 18 to 21

The ninth annual Northwest Deuce Days is returning to Victoria from July 18-21 (File contributed/ Destination Greater Victoria)
The Gettin’ Higher Choir will perform it’s 22nd annuual Spring Benefit Concert for Mozambique on June 15 at the Alix Goolden Hall. (Black Press Media File Photo)

Folk troubadour joins Gettin’ Higher Choir for Victoria concert

June 15 performance at Alix Goolden Hall will benefit Mozambique

The Gettin’ Higher Choir will perform it’s 22nd annuual Spring Benefit Concert for Mozambique on June 15 at the Alix Goolden Hall. (Black Press Media File Photo)
At city hall on Thursday council voted to reach out to the Department of National Defence and Veteran’s Affairs Canada to “recover costs associate with military events in the city.” (File photo)

Victoria councillor faces criticism over suggestion to bill military for Remembrance Day

Isitt compares media coverage to an effort from those with a corporate, alt-right, neofascist agenda

At city hall on Thursday council voted to reach out to the Department of National Defence and Veteran’s Affairs Canada to “recover costs associate with military events in the city.” (File photo)
Township of Esquimalt Municipal Hall. (File photo)

Township of Esquimalt seeks input for social wellness strategies

Esquimalt launches survey in conjunciton with Island Health

Township of Esquimalt Municipal Hall. (File photo)
Saxe Point Park reopens after police incident

Saxe Point Park reopens after police incident

No risk to the public after portions of the park were taped off

Saxe Point Park reopens after police incident
VIDEO: Victoria residents demonstrate to demand protection of B.C. old growth

VIDEO: Victoria residents demonstrate to demand protection of B.C. old growth

Demonstrations start at noon at three Greater Victoria sites

VIDEO: Victoria residents demonstrate to demand protection of B.C. old growth
The Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay 7 a.m. sailing is 89 per cent full as of 6:30 a.m. and the 8 a.m. sailing is 40 per cent full. (Photo courtesy Charlotte Prong Parkhill)
The Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay 7 a.m. sailing is 89 per cent full as of 6:30 a.m. and the 8 a.m. sailing is 40 per cent full. (Photo courtesy Charlotte Prong Parkhill)
Thursday will be mainly sunny with increasing cloudiness in the morning with a 60 per cent chance of showers in the afternoon and a risk of thunderstorms with a high of 14 C. Overnight will be partly cloudy with a low of 9 C. (Pixabay photo)
Thursday will be mainly sunny with increasing cloudiness in the morning with a 60 per cent chance of showers in the afternoon and a risk of thunderstorms with a high of 14 C. Overnight will be partly cloudy with a low of 9 C. (Pixabay photo)
Staff at Royal Oak Burial Park hand out carnations to visitors of the burial ground on Mother’s Day. (Saanich News file photo)

Little Spirits Garden, music highlight annual Summer So(u)lstice at Royal Oak Burial Park

Highlights include a vintage car display, talks with historian John Adams on June 15

Staff at Royal Oak Burial Park hand out carnations to visitors of the burial ground on Mother’s Day. (Saanich News file photo)
Wednesday’s forecast is calling for cloudy skies with a 60 per cent chance of showers and a high of 16 C. Overnight will be cloudy with a 40 per cent chance of showers with a low of 8 C. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Wednesday’s forecast is calling for cloudy skies with a 60 per cent chance of showers and a high of 16 C. Overnight will be cloudy with a 40 per cent chance of showers with a low of 8 C. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Victoria will host the Canadian Masters Road Cycling Championships and the Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series on June 7 to 9. (Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series/Facebook)

‘Nascar’ of cycling road racing comes to Victoria

Canadian Masters Road Cycling Championships take place June 7 to 9

Victoria will host the Canadian Masters Road Cycling Championships and the Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series on June 7 to 9. (Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series/Facebook)
Ben & Jerry’s has submitted a comment to the FDA to show their support and urge them to allow CBD-infused ice cream. (Ben & Jerry’s)
Ben & Jerry’s has submitted a comment to the FDA to show their support and urge them to allow CBD-infused ice cream. (Ben & Jerry’s)
Save-On-Foods presented $2.1 million to B.C. Children’s Hospital at the annual Miracle Weekend Telethon. The grand total represents another year of successful fundraising through store-led initiatives such as barbecues, hot dog sales and pie throwing, as well as corporate initiatives such as the Round Up for Kids campaign and the Save-On-Food Charity Golf Tournament — which raised $613,831 in one day. (Provided by Save-On-Foods)
Save-On-Foods presented $2.1 million to B.C. Children’s Hospital at the annual Miracle Weekend Telethon. The grand total represents another year of successful fundraising through store-led initiatives such as barbecues, hot dog sales and pie throwing, as well as corporate initiatives such as the Round Up for Kids campaign and the Save-On-Food Charity Golf Tournament — which raised $613,831 in one day. (Provided by Save-On-Foods)
Tuesday is expected to be mainly sunny with a high of 19 C and an overnight low of 12 C. (Pixabay photo)

Tuesday sees sunny skies, 19 C

Plus your weekly forecast

Tuesday is expected to be mainly sunny with a high of 19 C and an overnight low of 12 C. (Pixabay photo)
Virginia and Donald Johnson won $1 million from a 6/49 ticket. (File contributed/ BCLC)

Victoria couple wins $1 million in lottery

Virginia and Donald Johnson matched all 10 numbers in a recent Lotto 6/49 draw

Virginia and Donald Johnson won $1 million from a 6/49 ticket. (File contributed/ BCLC)
Monday’s forecast is calling for mainly sunny skies with a high of 19 C. Overnight will see a few clouds and a low of 10 C.(Neil Corbett/THE NEWS)

Sunny skies, high of 19 C for Monday

Plus your weekly forecast

Monday’s forecast is calling for mainly sunny skies with a high of 19 C. Overnight will see a few clouds and a low of 10 C.(Neil Corbett/THE NEWS)
Traffic congestion expected from June 3-14 as the intersection at Quadra Street and Glandford Ave. is reduced to a single lane. (Google Maps)

Expect traffic delays at busy Saanich intersection

Quadra Street at Glanford Avenue reduced to one lane starting June 3

Traffic congestion expected from June 3-14 as the intersection at Quadra Street and Glandford Ave. is reduced to a single lane. (Google Maps)