Logs ready for milling at sawmill in Prince George.

Asia imports up as U.S. targets B.C. lumber

#BCForestFuture series: Premier Christy Clark confident Donald Trump wants housing construction boom, needs B.C. lumber

The U.S. Commerce Department has announced it will investigate allegations of unfair imports of Canadian lumber, half of which comes from B.C.

The U.S. government gave its response to a petition by the U.S. Lumber Coalition filed in November, officially kicking off the fifth softwood lumber dispute between Canada and the U.S. It will investigate whether there was “dumping” of Canadian lumber into the U.S. market.

In a year-end interview, Premier Christy Clark said is confident Canada and B.C. can get an agreement with the new U.S. administration.

“Donald Trump is a builder by profession,” Clark said. “He says he wants four per cent economic growth. He knows that the fastest way to move the American economy is through construction of residential housing.

“Our argument for him is going to be, you need Canadian softwood in order to get that residential housing market really booming.”

If the department and the International Trade Commission determine that U.S. lumber producers have been affected by unfair trade, countervailing duties on Canadian imports could be imposed as soon as February.

Lumber prices and the international export market have expanded in 2016, as demand has increased in the U.S. and China.

U.S. lumber exports are up 31 per cent so far this year, according to the latest quarterly bulletin from Seattle-based Wood Resources International LLC. It also reports strong demand for imported softwood lumber in China this year, with Russia the largest supplier at 59 per cent of the market.

The bulletin reports softwood lumber imports to Japan are up 7.5 per cent, compared to the first nine months of 2015, with Canada the largest supplier.

 

Just Posted

Shaving minutes off commutes among the goals for Victoria bus lanes

Work on southbound Douglas Street lane between Tolmie and Hillside getting underway

VicPD nab distracted driver with expired licence

On the phone while in motion, man had overdue fines from driving while impaired

Cooking with ‘Killer’

Reporter Dawn Gibson shares some of her favourite meals to make

Vic-Alert faces tidal wave of registration after tsunami warnings

City of Victoria system is free and provides early warnings of disaster

Sirens don’t sing in tsunami warning for Esquimalt

Officials pleased with process, say sirens would have been activated had threat escalated.

WATCH: Greater Victoria residents gather at higher ground during tsunami warning

Ocean Boulevard and the Esquimalt Lagoon reopened shortly before 5 a.m. Tuesday

Saanich signals support for in-fill developments in Gorge-Tillicum

The Gorge-Tillicum neighbourhood continues to experience infill. Council’s committee-of-the-whole signaled Saanich’s support… Continue reading

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

How high is safe from a tsunami? Four metres above sea level

Be disaster ready with food, water and clothing for seven days

Victoria Film Festival set for triumphant return to the big screen

Two decades on, diverse film lineups keep movie-goers coming to the box office

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Victoria’s most wanted for the week of Jan. 23

Crime Stoppers will pay a reward of up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrests or the seizure of property or drug

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

Most Read