1. It’s Sunday morning, what are you having for breakfast?
Smoothie with granola and a latte. Ideally enjoyed over the morning paper, but usually wolfed down while herding two energetic kids off to gymnastics and swimming classes.
2. If you didn’t do what you did for a living, what would you be?
Given how much I love debating any idea, any time, and learning from everything… probably a philosopher. Can one really do that for a living?
3. What’s playing in your music player right now?
I’m listening to a mix of music from New York, a mix of many genres. I’m going to NYC for a holiday soon and it’s a fun way to pre-explore the city through music.
4. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
People demonizing those with different ideas from their own. We need to debate ideas, values and goals without attacking those with differing views.
5. What’s the best thing about living in Victoria?
The public library system is one great thing (yes, a shameless plug). More broadly, the tremendous volunteers throughout Greater Victoria that donate time and energy to help others and the community.
6. What is your favourite movie(s)?
The one that made a huge impression in my childhood was the original Star Wars — I’m looking forward to seeing the new film now with my kids.
7. Which person, alive or dead, would you have dinner with?
Abraham Lincoln. There are hundreds, but he popped to mind first, probably because I’m reading his biography.
8. What’s your favourite vacation destination?
Scuba diving at a very remote tropical reef is a wonderful refresher. As for travelling with kids, I hope for a trip to Italy soon.
9. If you could have one super power, what would it be?
To bend time and space.
10. What’s the one thing you haven’t done that you’d love to do?
11. If you could see one concert, what would it be?
See a great band at a small venue. Performance art, especially music, is just better when it’s intimate.
12. What is your favourite TV show?
We don’t have cable, but I enjoy sharing the BBC Planet Earth shows with my kids.
13. What’s your dream car?
Some favourites include Mercedes 190SL, Alpha Romeo Giulia, or Daimler Dart SP250 — all circa the early 60s. If a motorcycle, the Falcon Kestrel.
14. What is your favourite place to dine?
Macan’s Pub/Restaurant at Victoria Golf Club — very good food and beverage selection, cozy ambiance, a huge patio, family friendly, and reasonable prices.
15. What are your words to live by? Leave everything better than you found it.