Are you the type of person that makes use of a breakfast nook, counter-style seating and formal dinner table dining? Maybe you’re more likely to enjoy take-out in front of the TV, and only need a dining set for the occasional party. Then there are those who use their dining set for everything: meals, craft projects, Zoom calls, sorting mail, and even the occasional arm-wrestling match.
Whatever your dining needs, before you go shopping for the perfect dining set, consider these five categories: space, style, function, seating and budget.
- Space: Measure your dining area to get a sense of your room’s potential. “You’ll want at least a foot of extra space on each side of the table for seating and to walk around,” says Love Dodd from Dodd’s Furniture and Mattress. If you’re living in a condo or apartment, a round table is most efficient, and a drop-leaf table adds flexibility. If you’re in a larger home, a longer rectangular table is endlessly versatile.
- Style: If you have a dedicated dining room, you can create a unique oasis with a different feel from the rest of the house. But for homes that are more open concept, you may want to match your dining set to furniture nearby. Rustic, modern traditional — trust your own taste!
- Function: How you use your dining set will affect the materials you select. “Fabric-covered high-back chairs with extra cushioning are a great for gathering around the table and talking about your day or playing board game, but they are more difficult to clean,” Dodd says. Choose metal legs for extra durability, or opt for the elegance of glass or marble tabletops.
- Seating: Chairs, benches or both? Benches make it easier to squeeze more people around the table, and some offer additional storage underneath. Chairs tend to be more comfortable for individuals, and can work well in other areas of the home if you need to shuffle seating around.
- Budget: Dining sets can vary widely in price, so outline your budget before you start shopping. If you’re planning to use your dining set daily, investing in something of higher-quality will add both comfort and durability. Dodd’s EasyPay can take the stress out of your purchase, allowing you to spread the cost across easy monthly instalments.
Dodd’s Price Match Guarantee means you won’t find a better price on Vancouver Island. Browse furniture, mattresses and decor at doddsfurniture.com and sign up for their newsletter at the bottom of the homepage for care tips and unbelievable deals. Find Dodd’s Furniture and Mattress in Victoria, Nanaimo and Campbell River — it’s worth the drive!