Another convicted sexual offender is moving to Victoria.
Larry Takahashi, a 61-year-old convicted rapist, will be residing in a local halfway house between now and Dec. 24, said VicPD Const. Mike Russell.
The National Parole Board released Takahashi as part of a temporary unescorted absence program to help him integrate back into the community.
“The warning is being issued as VicPD believes that Takahashi poses a significant risk of harm to adult and teenage girls,” Russell said in a release. “VicPD had no role in the decision to release Takahashi, nor do we have any input in to where he would live.”
Takahashi is currently serving three life sentences for a series of sexual assaults in the Edmonton area in the 1970s and 1980s. His sexual deviancy increased over that period of time, from peeping in women’s windows to wearing a balaclava and sexually assaulting women in their homes. He was convicted on 14 counts of rape.
Takahashi had a previous temporary release revoked in 2005, when it was discovered he met another convicted sex offender at a Vancouver beach.
Takahashi must abide by all the conditions of his release including not consuming any alcohol or other intoxicants, reporting all interactions with women to his parole officer and not travelling north of the Malahat.
Earlier this month, VicPD issued a warning about James Campbell, 63, who was convicted of sexually assaulting young girls in Alberta and Manitoba in the 1990s. Campbell has repeatedly violated parole conditions in the past.
Contact VicPD or your local police agency if you see Takahashi or Campbell in violation of their conditions. Contact Det. Shawn Robson at firstname.lastname@example.org with non-emergency information on either man.