Apartment fire in Vic West prompts caution from firefighters

Electrical fire more concerning because suite did not have working fire alarm: Victoria Fire

  • Jan. 30, 2014 8:00 p.m.

A top-floor suite at a Vic West character home is uninhabitable today after a coil heater overloaded an extension cord.

Victoria fire crews were called to the home at 515 Wilson St. on Wednesday morning around 6:45 a.m.

Inside, they found a man struggling to put out a hallway fire that was spreading from the carpet up the walls of his suite. The man had been continuously running a heater, putting an extension cord under constant load, said Battalion Chief Mike Stark.

“The remaining occupants of the building had not been alerted to the fire and had not evacuated the building prior to Fire Department arrival,” Stark said. “The suite did not have a working smoke alarm.”

Stark reminds residents that smoke alarms are a requirement of the B.C. Building Code and City of Victoria bylaws.

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image