A police map of James Bay shows where a string of break and enters at commercial businesses occurred during a month one period.

Arrest made in James Bay business break-ins

A 53-year-old Victoria man is facing 26 charges in connection with a string of break and enters at a number of businesses in James Bay.

A 53-year-old Victoria man is facing 26 charges in connection with a string of break and enters described as “smash and grabs” at a number of businesses in James Bay.

According to police, at least 14 break and enters occurred within a one-month span in July and August.

The bulk of break-ins took place been between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m., but a few also happened between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Some of the businesses targeted include hair salons, small coffee shops and restaurants. The thief swiped small amounts of cash, leaving other items in the businesses behind.

“They smash the window, grab the box and get the heck out of there because the alarm could be sounding, people could have heard the glass smash and a quick egress is necessary to escape,” said Staff Sgt. Connor King with the Victoria police investigative services division.

Break and enters are a common crime that Victoria police investigate on a regular basis, but some are more sophisticated with thieves targeting banks, jewelery stores or computer equipment.

The ones in James Bay, however, were recently flagged as a priority by the police strategic operations council, which meets every 28 days to provide an analysis of crime over the previous month, along with emerging trends and patterns that are used to develop three to four priorities for officers to focus their attention.

In the James Bay case, police conducted a further analysis and discovered similar break and enters dating back to February this year. Eventually officers were able to identify a suspect and made an arrest last week. The man was on parole for break and enter, which he had revoked as the investigation continues.

In the meantime, police advise business owners not to leave cash or valuables in their businesses and when possible, show that the cash register is open and empty. Business owners are also encouraged to invest in quality alarm and video surveillance systems.

“Over and over again, we encounter situations where somebody has a video security system, but it’s poor quality or it doesn’t record,” said King, adding citizens are encouraged to report any suspicious activity.

“Citizens are often key in solving these.”

Other priorities recently outlined by the strategic operations council include thefts/drug activity in the 100 block of Tillicum Road and east and west on Craigflower Road, along with Rock Bay Landing, where a lot of overnight shelters are set up and several stolen bikes are often recovered.

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Police closed McNeill Avenue after a workplace death Oct. 20, 2020. (Nina Grossman/News Staff)
WorkSafe BC investigating man’s death during Oak Bay tree removal

Man was working for contracted tree removal company when incident occurred

Vic High (Black Press Media file photo)
Vic High stadium plans drop promised 8-lane track to ‘barely wider than city sidewalk’

Friends of Vic High seek public inquiry into plans for Memorial Stadium Revitalization Project

A notice on the door of the Starbucks at 3849 Cadboro Bay Rd. says it closes permanently on Sunday, Oct. 25. (Google Maps)
Cadboro Bay Starbucks location to close permanently after 16 years

Residents association seeks reason for closure set for Oct. 25

A bear similar to this black bear was spotted on Elk Lake Drive on Oct. 20 and is believed responsible for killing a llama in Saanich the night before. (Black Press Media file photo)
Bear spotted several times in Saanich likely to be euthanized

Conservation officers still searching for bear reported near Elk Lake Drive

The West Shore RCMP released these images of a suspect as part of its investigation into a report of sexual assault on Sept. 17. (West Shore RCMP handout)
The West Shore RCMP released these images of a suspect as part of its investigation into a report of sexual assault on Sept. 17. (West Shore RCMP handout)
Sexual assault suspect sought by West Shore RCMP

Police are looking for help identifying this man

FILE – People wait in line at a COVID-19 testing facility in Burnaby, B.C., on Thursday, August 13, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
167 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death recorded as B.C. enters 2nd wave

Three new healthcare outbreaks also announced

Advance polls are open from Oct. 15 to 21 with election day on Oct. 24. (Black Press Media file photo)
Nanaimo RCMP are asking for the public’s assistance in locating Michael Leighton, who is wanted on 11 warrants on Vancouver Island and is a suspect in a recent break, enter and theft in Nanaimo. (Photos submitted)
RCMP looking for break-and-enter suspect with 11 warrants on the Island

Nanaimo RCMP say Michael Leighton a suspect in theft of pistol and $40,000 worth of coins

This 2020 electron microscope image made available by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shows a Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 particle isolated from a patient, in a laboratory in Fort Detrick, Md. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-NIAID/NIH via AP
At least 49 cases of COVID-19 linked to wedding in Calgary: Alberta Health

McMillan says the city of Calgary has recently seen several outbreaks linked to social gatherings

UBC geoscientists discovered the wreckage of a decades-old crash during an expedition on a mountain near Harrison Lake. (Submitted photo)
Wreckage of decades-old plane crash discovered on mountain near Harrison Lake

A team of Sts’ailes Community School students helped discover the twisted metal embedded in a glacier

The official search to locate Jordan Naterer was suspended Saturday Oct. 17. Photo courtesy of VPD.
‘I am not leaving without my son,’ says mother of missing Manning Park hiker

Family and friends continue to search for Jordan Naterer, after official efforts suspended

Bernard Trest and his son Max, 10, are concerned about B.C.’s plan for students in the classroom. He was one of two fathers who filed a court application in August to prevent schools from reopening if stricter COVID-19 protections weren’t in place. That application was dismissed last week. (Contributed photo)
B.C. dad pledges to appeal quashed call for mandatory masks, distancing in schools

Bernard Trest and Gary Shuster challenged health, education ministries’ return-to-school plan

RCMP crest. (Black Press Media files)
RCMP cleared in fatal shooting of armed Lytton man in distress, police watchdog finds

IIO spoke to seven civillian witnesses and 11 police officers in coming to its decision

A 34-year-old man was treated for a gunshot wound in Williams Lake Monday, Oct 19, 2020. (Angie Mindus photo - Williams Lake Tribune)
Williams Lake man treated for gunshot wound after accidental shooting: RCMP

Police are reminding residents to ensure firearms are not loaded when handling them

Most Read