Arson has been confirmed as the cause of Sunday’s house fire on Antrobus Crescent in Colwood.
“Gasoline was poured into the pump house behind the house,” said Sgt. Mx Fossum, of West Shore RCMP. “It caused an extremely hot fire.”
The fire was set on May 13 in the early evening. Colwood and View Royal fire departments attended the call.
The estimated damage to the home is unknown. The fire travelled up the back of the house and onto the roof.
While gasoline was the accelerant it hasn’t been determined what was used to spark the fire.
A 22-year old male and the family dog were in the home at the time of the fire. Both made it out of the home safely. The male was taken to Victoria General Hospital and was treated for smoke inhalation.
A 20-year-old, who had been living in the home with the 22-year-old, is expected to be charged with arson, Fossum said. “The suspect is known to police.”
The RCMP have been called to the home on other occasions recently.
It has not been determined if the suspect knew the 22-year-old was in the home at the time of the fire.