Victoria Fire Department officials are still looking into the cause of a Friday night fire that forced evacuation of The Savoy condominium building at the corner of Blanshard Street and Fairfield Road.
The resident of the second-floor unit where the fire started around 7 p.m. was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation, and later released. Most of the building’s residents were allowed to return that night, but a handful stayed at local hotels that offered rooms for the night while the smoke cleared from the building.
Firefighters attacked the blaze from the outside and the subject suite remains boarded up. Damage was estimated at $250,000.