Cafe Mexico fire cause determined

Market Square fire caused by pot of oil on heat source

  • Jan. 28, 2015 6:00 p.m.

A fire on Jan. 20 in Cafe Mexico was caused by a pot of oil left on the stove, said fire Inspector Megan Sabell.

“It eventually reached its autoignition temperature, and the resulting fire spread from the stove area to the rest of the kitchen.”

Fire crews responded to the fire just after 3 a.m. on Jan. 20 after multiple 911 calls were made. Cafe Mexico was completely gutted, and nearby stores and Pacific Rim College also suffered damages.