This is a good time to sweep up those pine needles and say goodbye to the Christmas tree. Organizations across Greater Victoria are hosting fundraising tree-chipping events throughout the week, with most happening Jan. 7 and 8. For a complete list of recycling options available across the Capital Regional District, visit crd.bc.ca/waste/organics/yardwasteoptions.htm.
• Strawberry Vale elementary school hosts a tree chipping, bottle drive and document shredding event Jan. 8 in support of the school’s emergency preparedness program. Funds raised will go toward the creation of a $5,000 emergency kiosk to store student emergency supply packs and additional supplies such as water and blankets.
The event runs 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., at 4109 Rosedale Ave. To arrange for curbside pickup of trees or bottles, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a pickup location and donation amount.
• The Lions Society of B.C. will be at the Broadmead Village Shopping Centre, Tillicum Shopping Centre, University Heights Shopping Centre, Hillside Shopping Centre and the Safeway parking lot at the corner of Fort Street and Foul Bay Road on Jan. 7 and 8, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., for “Chip in for Kids.” Donations support Easter Seal House.
• Esquimalt Kiwanis Club hosts two tree recycling events: at the Royal Oak Shopping Centre, Jan. 7 and 8, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and at the Archie Browning Sports Centre, 1151 Esquimalt Rd., Jan. 1, 2, 7 and 8, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Claremont secondary school’s KEY Club is chipping trees Jan. 7 and 8, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the school’s lower parking lot, 4980 Wesley Rd., for a minimum $5 donation.
• The Reynolds secondary school band program chips Jan. 2, 7 and 8, from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., in the north parking lot, at the corner of McKenzie Avenue and Borden Street.
• The University of Victoria Vikes Track Team hosts tree chipping Jan. 2, 7 and 8, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the UVic Centennial Stadium parking lot.
• The Velox Valhallians junior rugby program continues its tradition of offering Christmas tree recycling, Jan. 7 and 8, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.,
at 3957 Gordon Head Rd.