Emergency crews speak with people on scene at a fire on Cedar Hill Road on Thursday morning. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)

Emergency crews speak with people on scene at a fire on Cedar Hill Road on Thursday morning. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)

Cigarette possible cause of fire on Cedar Hill Road

Fire between house and garage left fence charred

A cigarette may be to blame for a small structure fire in Saanich Thursday morning.

Saanich Fire and B.C. Ambulance responded to reports of a fire in the 3400-block of Cedar Hill Road shortly before 10 a.m. The road’s southbound lane was briefly blocked as crews responded.

Capt. Ron Hyde said the fire occurred on a path between a house and a backyard garage. The path was lined with two by four slats, he explained.

Hyde said a small lit object started the small fire and he believed a cigarette was to blame. There was other evidence of cigarettes near the path, he explained.

A fence was left damaged after the blaze.

Hyde noted B.C. Ambulance always responds in case of smoke inhalation but no one was injured in this incident.

READ ALSO: Saanich Fire promotes several members of its fire prevention division


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image