The CRD Hazmat team responds to a potentially dangerous mix of pool chemicals at Parkside Victoria resort and spa this morning. Two workers exposed to the noxious fumes were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

The CRD Hazmat team responds to a potentially dangerous mix of pool chemicals at Parkside Victoria resort and spa this morning. Two workers exposed to the noxious fumes were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Condos evacuated after chemical scare

HAZMAT team responds after pool chemicals improperly mixed: Victoria Fire Department

A condominium resort was evacuated this morning after a pool worker improperly mixed chemicals and left the batch overnight.

Victoria Fire Department arrived at the Parkside Victoria resort, 810 Humboldt St., around 8 a.m. and evacuated the east tower as a precautionary measure, said battalion Chief Paul Kowalyk.

“We contacted the two maintenance guys that were here, they were complaining of irritated eyes and throat,” Kowalyk said.

B.C. Ambulance responded and took the workers to hospital for precautionary reasons, but both workers appeared “fully functional,” he said.

The regional HAZMAT team is currently on scene to dissipate the odour, which is originating from about a dozen 19-litre containers, Kowalyk said. The odour does not pose a threat to passersby and a “hot zone” has been established, he added.

Traffic is expected to be rerouted for several hours.

dpalmer@vicnews.com