CPR bid process gets personal

Proponent enraged by process that rejected all bids for CPR Steamship Terminal

In a charged letter to B.C. Community, Sport and Cultural Development Minister Ida Chong, Oak Bay businessman Bob Wright has condemned a process that rejected his proposal for the CPR Steamship Terminal.

“In my opinion the (Provincial Capital Commission) is not effectively managing the assets entrusted to it on behalf of the people of British Columbia,” he wrote in a letter dated April 14.

Wright of the Oak Bay Marine Group and two others learned April 12 the PCC rejected all three bids to lease the prime real estate at 468-470 Belleville St. The downtown building was previously home to the Royal London Wax Museum.

Other bids came from the Maritime Museum of B.C., seeking to relocate from Bastion Square, and from Matt MacNeil who proposed a Steamship Marketplace.

According to the PCC, a five-person evaluation panel “concluded that evaluations of the three proposals could not be completed due to insufficient information.”

In the case of the Oak Bay Marine Group, which proposed a high-tech museum on British Columbia’s history, the PCC said: “No business plan was provided to demonstrate assumptions supporting the attraction’s viability and no fixturing costs were provided.”

Wright disputes this conclusion.

“Although not a requirement of the original RFP (request for proposals), a business plan was demanded on March 23 to be in the hands of the PCC by March 25, an impossible timeline,” he wrote in his letter.

PCC CEO Ray Parks confirmed the dates of the request and deadline. He defended the process, however.

“When one considers the magnitude of the project … one would assume that before you spend $10 million, you’d know what you’re going to do with it, that (Wright) would have something of a plan, or an idea or a general draft,” Parks said.

Wright’s dispute also involves the financial assurances he provided.

“We were prepared to have Oak Bay Marina Ltd sign the lease thereby giving the PCC a covenant backed conservatively with over $100 million in assets,” Wright wrote. “Also, surplus income from our existing businesses is capable of handling the proposed lease obligation, and this was clearly confirmed in the letters submitted from our two banks.”

Parks, however, explains letters from the banks didn’t provide enough information.

“(Wright) has a fantastic reputation and a great track record,” Parks said. Wright’s paperwork proved he had adequate assets  but not that he could sustain it over time, he said. “I think he was suggesting that reputation was enough.”

Lastly, Wright’s letter takes a personal turn.

It speculates about a hidden agenda and a $15,000 contribution from Parks to Barry Hobbis’ unsuccessful campaign for Victoria city council.

“They should have just come along and said ‘We don’t want (my proposal) in the building,’ and I would understand that,” Wright said in an interview.

In response, Parks declared his contribution to the Hobbis campaign was drawn entirely from his personal business, and none from other unnamed parties.

He also points out the decision to reject all three bids was made by consensus by the evaluation panel, and the process was managed by Ernst and Young LLP, an international accounting firm

It’s about taking extra care and due diligence, Parks said.

rholmen@vicnews.com

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Victoria gets new collegiate baseball team, training facility

Golden Tide coach wants to see as many local kids play for the HarbourCats as possible

Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for Greater Victoria

Thunderstorm may produce strong wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain, warns Environment Canada

Sooke couple that owned Sooke Harbour House given $4 million after lengthy court case

B.C. Supreme Court rules in favour of Frederique and Sinclair Philip

Local MP Elizabeth May likes aspects of throne speech, but questions execution

According to May nobody is as ‘reckless’ as BC’s John Horgan in dismissing snap election

Sooke councillor pitches another way to improve transit

Coun. Jeff Bateman wants free passes for youth on local routes

B.C. reports 91 new cases as officials remain worried over ‘clusters of COVID-19

There have now been a total of 8,395 cases in B.C. since the pandemic began

Canada’s active COVID-19 cases top 10,000 as daily new cases triple over the past month

Dr. Tam repeated her warning to young people, who have made up the majority of recent cases

First 8 months of fatal overdoses in B.C. have now exceeded 2019 death toll

Nine people died every two days in August, BC Coroners Service data shows

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Liberal effort to reset policy agenda panned by rivals as too much talk, not action

Trudeau said it’s ‘all too likely’ families won’t be able to gather for Thanksgiving next month

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

‘Show us the money’ for cannabis, local governments tell B.C.

Municipal tax, transit revenues falling as costs rise

Cops for Cancer: COVID-19 can’t stop Tour de Rock

‘having the chance to come back and ride this year means everything to me’

People ‘disgusted’ by COVID-19 election call, B.C. Liberal leader says

Andrew Wilkinson speaks to municipal leaders from Victoria

Most Read