CRD avoids potentially “disastrous” sewage plant public consultation

The Capital Regional District avoided a potentially “disastrous” public consultation regarding the 1 to $1.3-billion sewage treatment plant.

The Capital Regional District avoided a potentially “disastrous” public consultation regarding the 1 to $1.3-billion sewage treatment plant, according to Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins.

Last week, the Core Area Liquid Waste Management Committee voted to postpone public consultation for the proposed sewage treatment plant options over concerns more information needed to be provided.

“The reality was, when we got down to it, there was a lot of confusion on the numbers and if we’re confused at the table, we can’t expect the public to be asked to weigh in on the information and be able to give us their clear thoughts,” Desjardins said, adding the cost allocation formula and allocation of grants were “problematic.”

“We need to do this right. We know we’re in a time crunch but this would have, in my mind, been a disastrous public consultation process because the public wouldn’t necessarily have been able to respond to what it is we’re looking for.”

Last month, the committee revealed five options for the plant, including a one-plant option in Rock Bay, Victoria; a two-plant option with a centralized plant at Rock Bay and a facility in Colwood; a four-plant sub-regional option with facilities in Rock Bay, Esquimalt Nation, Colwood and East Saanich; and a seven-plant option with facilities in Langford, Colwood, View Royal, Esquimalt, Rock Bay and Saanich core and east Saanich; and an option that is tertiary.

The cost per household depends on which option is selected. According to a report, the estimated cost per household in Victoria ranges from $509 to $608 annually, while the cost in Esquimalt ranges from $465 to $1,023 annually per household.

Victoria Mayor and chair of the committee Lisa Helps said when consultation commences, hopefully in mid-January, the committee will get a better idea of what is important to the public.

“We’re not asking the public to choose any options, we’re asking the public to give us more information at this point of the process to help us make decisions going forward,” she said. “It may come back that cost is the most important thing and so that would lead us down one path . . . An option six or an option seven could emerge that no one thought of. But through public input, we might come up with something even better and we’re certainly open to that.”

Directors instructed staff to come back with more information on topics such as costs, water flow, and solid waste recovery in the new year.

Helps said she’s not sure if the setback will delay the project, but noted if the committee wants to extend the timeline of the project, it must be approved by the CRD board.

The CRD has until March 2016 to submit a plan for the project in order to receive $253 million in federal funding.

 

 

Just Posted

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority to fall fake eagle tree at Ogden Point

Last year a fake tree was installed to try to entice eagles to stay in the area, without much success

Ambitious B.C. Aviation Museum need $10M to get iconic Lancaster back in the air

Volunteers flock to work on bomber, restoration expected to take 10 years

Saanich to potentially host first hydrogen fuel station on Vancouver Island

Station proposed for corner of Quadra Street and McKenzie Avenue

Three children to run Victoria as ‘Mayors’ on Tuesday

Local kids will be honorary mayors for a day

Langford man sentenced to 15 months for child pornography collection

Andre Mollon sentenced for posession of more than 1,000 child pornography images and 70 videos

Victoria hosts ‘Ultimate Hockey Fan Cave’

The hockey cave was recently featured on a Netflix special

Inspirational Vancouver Island youngster dies after battle with brain cancer

Kaiden Finley ‘was seriously the strongest 11-year-old’

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

Most Read