The gas plant in action capturing and processing methane released from the waste buried at Hartland. (CRD Photo)

CRD looks to trap more biogas at landfill

Capturing landfill methane as a potent, renewable fuel

A plan to capture much more of the biogas emitted at Hartland landfill in Saanich is underway with the Capital Regional District’s Parks and Environmental Services department.

The biogas comes from the waste in the landfill and the methane is combusted to make green power which Fortis uses.

Currently, the CRD estimates about 55 per cent of the biogas coming out of the Hartland landfill is methane, a highly productive gas that has 21 times the energy capacity than the Co2 released there, said Larisa Hutcheson, general manager of CRD Parks and Environmental Services.

READ MORE: Central Saanich residents vow to stop the stink

The plan now is to consider how much more can be captured and used, she added, as there is long term interest from Fortis to develop these projects.

“We are already collecting it to produce green power,” Hutcheson said. “We have an opportunity to use the biogas, it’s an environmental challenge we’re faced with.”

In 2017, the landfill gas collection captured and used 1,102 cubic feet per minute of biogas. About 467 cfm or 42 per cent of the biogas was used for green power generation while the other 638 cfm, or 58 per cent, was flared off.

In addition to a larger gas plant at Hartland, CRD staff hope to recommend to the board of directors an anaerobic digestive centre at Hartland. This would change the current model of shipping Greater Victoria’s kitchen waste out of the region to numerous places.

There is a report coming for an anaerobic regional kitchen scraps processing facility. In addition to being highly efficient at capturing any biogas created, an anaerobic vessel would also be sealed, therefore eliminating any concern of odor, which was an initial problem when the kitchen waste program started. Any biogas captured in the anaerobic tank would also fuel the new gas plant.

READ MORE: Summer makes for nasty smelling organic waste totes

READ ALSO: From chip bags to dirty jars, touring Greater Victoria’s recycling processing plant

“Part of the next step is to go out to municipalities and waste haulers to see if they can participate in the process,” Hutcheson said. “We’ll see if we can partner up to collect scraps and see if there will be economies of scale to make that work happen. We need to wee what the interest is like and what the volumes would be.”

CRD chair and Saanich Coun. Colin Plant said the CRD board is always going to be interested in the best environmental and financial outcomes for the region.

“This project attempts to advance these interests,” Plant said. “I look forward to learning more about this proposal at the [next] committee meeting and then at the board meeting in March if the committee recommends it.”

reporter@saanichnews.com


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

PHOTOS: Thousands raised for cancer at second annual Gala for Hope

Victoria Fire Department’s fundraiser a success ahead of Ride to Conquer Cancer

Crews respond to near drowning at Thetis Lake

Man taken to hospital after calls come in of drowning in progress

Vet services for Victoria’s pets of the homeless cancelled for first time in a decade

Vets for Pets faces a volunteer shortage that’s forced the group to cancel its recent service

Wooldog among mysteries uncovered with powerful UVic microscope

Finding ‘Mutton,’ a dog lost in a Smithsonian drawer for 150 years

Optometrist pedals through depression, leads others for the cause

Ride Don’t Hide bike rides start, end at Windsor Park

Victoria Weekender: What’s happening this weekend, June 15-16

Car Free YYJ, a barber battle and an Outdoor Discovery Day

Homalco tour gives glimpse into area’s ‘People, Land, Water’

First Nation business mixes cultural components with wildlife excursions

B.C. VIEWS: When farmland protection doesn’t protect farmers

Secondary residences aren’t mansions, families tell Lana Popham

Bombers down B.C. Lions 33-23 in season opener

Former Lion Andrew Harris leads Winnipeg with 148 rushing yards

Northern B.C. family remembers murdered Indigenous woman with memorial walk

Still no closure for Ramona Wilson’s family 25 years later

Monkey spotted on late-night jaunt in Campbell River

Conservation officers also apparently looking for cougar in the area

B.C. university to offer mentorship program for former youth in care

Students using the provincial tuition waiver program will soon be able to form a community at KPU

Cyclists competing in one of the toughest bike races on the planet pass through Fernie

Divide riders looking strong as they finish first leg of 4160 km race

You might not know these B.C. records are public

Hired a lawyer to file a civil claim? Those are published online

Most Read