Distracted driving still a problem, despite fine increase

Despite hefty fine increases imposed by the province last month, Victoria police still see drivers using their cell phones behind the wheel.

Despite the hefty fine increases imposed by the province last month, Victoria police continue to see drivers using their cell phones behind the wheel on a daily basis.

One month after the province increased fines for distracted driving from $167 to $368, along with another $175 for insurance premiums, local traffic officers went on a blitz, catching 20 distracted drivers within a two-hour span.

Victoria police spokesperson Const. Matt Rutherford said drivers obviously aren’t happy with being handed such a large fine, but the increases were widely publicized and the message such behaviour is  unacceptable has been ongoing for years.

“It’s disappointing. There’s lots of numbers out there to show how dangerous distracted driving is and there was hope that a greater financial implication would try and curb those numbers,” said Rutherford, who still sees drivers looking at their cell phones behind the wheel on a daily basis.

“I’m not sure if people need to start putting their phones into their trucks or their glove boxes, but it is concerning.”

The move to increase fines came after public consultation during the past year found support for a tougher approach. Provincial officials found that public awareness campaigns had not convinced enough people of the dangers of using their mobile phone or other devices without hands-free services, even though distracted and inattentive driving was a factor in the deaths of 66 people and 630 injuries on B.C. roads in 2014.

With the new fines, the same driver who commits a second offence within 12 months will face a total penalty of $888 and a third offence would cost more than $3,000. Two tickets a year will also trigger an automatic review by the superintendent of motor vehicles that could result in a licence suspension.

Rutherford isn’t sure whether people just don’t care about the fines or they simply can’t curb their addiction to their cell phone. One thing he is certain of, however, is that police will continue cracking down on drivers who ignore the rules.

“We’re out there all the time and if people still choose to use their cell phones and drive, we will be dealing with them,” Rutherford said.

 

 

Just Posted

Woodwynn Farms to be shut down and sold

The rehabilitation program at Woodwynn Farms is being shut down. According to… Continue reading

Langford loses bid to host Amazon HQ2

Mayor hopes to attract more tech jobs to city

Whooping cough detected in Claremont student

15 Greater Victoria schools have been informed of a student with pertussis since September

VIDEO: Protesters chain doors shut at DFO office in Saanich

Fish farm protesters removed from Commerce Circle for a second time

Pedestrian in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after being struck in View Royal

Incident closed Island Highway for several hours Wednesday night

WATCH: Giant waves smash Ucluelet’s Amphitrite Point

Folks made their way to Ucluelet’s Amphitrite Point Lighthouse on Thursday, Jan.… Continue reading

Saanich signals support for in-fill developments in Gorge-Tillicum

The Gorge-Tillicum neighbourhood continues to experience infill. Council’s committee-of-the-whole signaled Saanich’s support… Continue reading

Opinion: Dare to be smarter

Just say no works for more than just substance abuse

‘Sing Me a Song’ about B.C. for a chance at $1,000 contest prize

Entries due by March 30 for lieutenant-governor’s British Columbia-themed competition

Facing reality of death, B.C. man learns real meaning of life

Even while preparing for the end, something inside Keven Drews won’t let him stop living

Former B.C. fire chief gets seven months for possession of child porn

The 63-year-old pleaded guilty during a brief hearing last year to one count

B.C. VIEWS: Public school ‘crisis’ doesn’t exist

More teachers pour in, union wants results suppressed

Late charge in Portland sees Victoria collect third straight WHL win

Matthew Phillips leads the way with three-point night in 4-2 win, Giants up next

UPDATE: Hold-and-secure lifted after Nanaimo RCMP locate student who threatened self-harm

Eight schools were under hold-and-secure orders after possible threat Thursday, Jan. 18

Most Read