Douglas Street transit changes set in motion

Victoria City Council and the Regional Transit Commission have cleared the way for the next stage in the development of transit service

  • Mar. 2, 2016 7:00 p.m.

By Tim Collins

Recent approvals by Victoria City Council and the Regional Transit Commission have cleared the way for the next stage in the development of improved transit service on the southbound side of Douglas Street, between Hillside and Tolmie.

They’re changes that transit hopes will result in the enhancement of mass transportation options for people making their way to the West Shore communities.

Victoria Transit has been involved in the process since 2011 said spokesperson Drew Snider. He explained that it’s all designed to make mass transit options more attractive, reliable, efficient and effective. He emphasized this has been a long process that has involved a great deal of community consultation to date and which will continue to engage the public as plans move forward.

“We had considered the re-purposing of existing lanes as dedicated bus lanes on the southbound side of Douglas between Hillside and Tolmie, but the feedback we received from area residents reflected a concern that this would only serve to move traffic into adjoining residential streets,” said Snider.

Instead, the plan is to widen Douglas Street to create a dedicated transit lane.

“Resident concerns were certainly a factor in the plan that we put forward,” he said.

But the plan is not without its critics.

Stuart Hertzog, a member of the Burnside Gorge Neighbourhood Association’s land use committee, sent sharply worded correspondence to B.C. Transit and the Transit Commission in which he challenges the veracity of Transit’s claims of community involvement.

“B.C. Transit is turning Douglas into an urban freeway,” said Hertzog. “We (area residents) want traffic calming, more pedestrian crossings and the retention of the buffer between the traffic and pedestrians on Douglas.”

Hertzog said the plan as it now stands would result in the removal of 26 mature trees and the loss of the green buffer between traffic and pedestrians.

Hertzog argued the plan is “at complete variance” with the planning goals of the City of Victoria, which give priority to pedestrians.

Susan Brice, councilor for the District of Saanich and chair of the Transit Commission, said while she’s aware of those concerns, it’s important to realize that the current plans are all part of a bigger picture to make transit run more efficiently.

“It comes after an enormous amount of public engagement,” she said.

According to the recently approved B.C. Transit recommendation, a further period of public consultation and engagement will be followed by the selection of a consultant, design reviews, and construction tendering.

Construction of the dedicated lane is slated to begin in November and last until March 2017.

 

 

Just Posted

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority to fall fake eagle tree at Ogden Point

Last year a fake tree was installed to try to entice eagles to stay in the area, without much success

Ambitious B.C. Aviation Museum need $10M to get iconic Lancaster back in the air

Volunteers flock to work on bomber, restoration expected to take 10 years

Saanich to potentially host first hydrogen fuel station on Vancouver Island

Station proposed for corner of Quadra Street and McKenzie Avenue

Three children to run Victoria as ‘Mayors’ on Tuesday

Local kids will be honorary mayors for a day

Langford man sentenced to 15 months for child pornography collection

Andre Mollon sentenced for posession of more than 1,000 child pornography images and 70 videos

Victoria hosts ‘Ultimate Hockey Fan Cave’

The hockey cave was recently featured on a Netflix special

Inspirational Vancouver Island youngster dies after battle with brain cancer

Kaiden Finley ‘was seriously the strongest 11-year-old’

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

Most Read