The new Downtown Victoria Buskers Festival will overlap with the Victoria International Buskers Festival

DVBA announces second buskers festival

The Downtown Victoria Business Association has announced its intention to run a second buskers festival this summer.

In what David Rand, board chair for the Victoria International Buskers Festival, describes as a “stunt,” the Downtown Victoria Business Association  (DVBA) has announced its intention to run a second buskers festival this summer.

“It seems like just a stunt by their new executive director, Kerri Milton,” said Rand. “It’s silly and it isn’t going to do anyone any good, least of all the people of Victoria.”

Rand characterized the situation as a bizarre and unfair action.

Earlier this week, the business association announced its intention to operate “a new festival” — an event dubbed the Downtown Victoria Buskers Festival. In a press release issued Tuesday, the association described the event as a six-day festival to be held from July 11 to 16 with stages in downtown Victoria.

“We are proud to bring more animation to downtown Victoria with the addition of the Downtown Victoria Buskers Festival,” said Milton in the release.

“We anticipate several days of dynamic performances in downtown Victoria.”

The Victoria International Buskers Festival, which began in 2010, has been scheduled to take place from July 14 to 23, also in various spots around downtown Victoria.

For Rand, the move by the business association is more than unfair.

“For six years we’ve worked very hard to bring Victoria what has grown to be the number one festival in the region. We are internationally recognized as one of the best festivals of this kind, anywhere. And that’s not to mention the fact we’ve managed to provide a huge boost to tourism and a family-friendly event for the people of greater Victoria,” said Rand. “Why the DVBA is working against us is puzzling at best.”

John Vickers, the executive director of the international buskers festival and the driving force behind Victoria’s Kite Festival and Chalk Art Festival, is saddened by the business association’s actions.

“For them to say they are simply running their own festival, adding to what exists is just nonsense. They are running in the same location and at the same time as our festival, and have even gone so far as using our ideas and some of our terminology,” said Vickers.

“Their press release cites the installation of “busk stops” around downtown during their festival. That’s a term I picked up in Australia and it’s something we’ve had for six years. Let’s stop kidding people.”

The business association did not respond to repeated requests for interviews by the Victoria News.

Jim Zeeben of Tourism Victoria, whose logo appears on Tuesday’s press release regarding the new buskers festival, referred only to a Oct. 12 press release which refers to a “new strategy that will improve accountability and better ensure long-term sustainability of major events in Victoria.”

He acknowledged the strategy was a collaborative effort of the business association, Tourism Victoria, the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, and the Hotel Association of Greater Victoria.

Rand believes the resources of the business association and their partners could have been better directed.

“We’ve always tried to work in collaboration with the DVBA and the others listed on the top of (the) press release, but they didn’t give us any warning or indication they were planning this stunt,” he said.

“We have always supported cooperation between all the groups, but cooperation isn’t just stealing something we’ve built over six years and calling it your own.”

 

 

Just Posted

Shaving minutes off commutes among the goals for Victoria bus lanes

Work on southbound Douglas Street lane between Tolmie and Hillside getting underway

VicPD nab distracted driver with expired licence

On the phone while in motion, man had overdue fines from driving while impaired

Cooking with ‘Killer’

Reporter Dawn Gibson shares some of her favourite meals to make

Vic-Alert faces tidal wave of registration after tsunami warnings

City of Victoria system is free and provides early warnings of disaster

Sirens don’t sing in tsunami warning for Esquimalt

Officials pleased with process, say sirens would have been activated had threat escalated.

WATCH: Greater Victoria residents gather at higher ground during tsunami warning

Ocean Boulevard and the Esquimalt Lagoon reopened shortly before 5 a.m. Tuesday

Saanich signals support for in-fill developments in Gorge-Tillicum

The Gorge-Tillicum neighbourhood continues to experience infill. Council’s committee-of-the-whole signaled Saanich’s support… Continue reading

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

How high is safe from a tsunami? Four metres above sea level

Be disaster ready with food, water and clothing for seven days

Victoria Film Festival set for triumphant return to the big screen

Two decades on, diverse film lineups keep movie-goers coming to the box office

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Victoria’s most wanted for the week of Jan. 23

Crime Stoppers will pay a reward of up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrests or the seizure of property or drug

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

Most Read