Early morning fire damages office on Yates Street

Several residents were evacuated from their homes after a fire damaged an office space on Yates Street early Tuesday morning.

  • May. 19, 2015 12:00 p.m.

Several residents were evacuated from their homes after a fire damaged an office space on Yates Street early Tuesday morning.

Around 2:14 a.m., the Victoria Fire Department responded to a report of smoke at 524 Yates St. When crews arrived, they discovered a fire burning in a space on the main floor.

The fire had been suppressed by water from a sprinkler that had been activated and fire crews were able to completely extinguish the fire.

Some 60 residents living above the commercial were alerted by the building’s alarm system and evacuated before fire crews arrived. They were able to return to their homes after the smoke had been cleared.

Damage, which is estimated at $20,000, was contained to a one-metre area on the floor. There was also smoke damage, minimal heat damage and some water damage.

The space was under renovation and the cause is believed to be improper disposal or storage of construction materials related to the finishing of the wood floor. The floor was finished with Tung Oil, a drying oil, and it was likely that the fire was a result of spontaneous combustion from the materials, according to a report.