Early morning fire rips through Langford home

Langford Fire Rescue attended the house on High Forest Place on Dec. 29

A fire ripped through a Langford home early Friday morning, causing extensive damange in the garage and into the upstairs living space.

Langford Fire Rescue was notified of the fire at about 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 29 and, upon arriving at the home at 820 High Forest Pl., found flames emanating from the garage and lapping up the side of the home into the upstairs living space.

The initial fire truck was soon joined by units from all three Langford stations, as well as View Royal Fire Department, and managed to contain the flames to the garage and part of the upstairs living space immediately above it.

“We were very fortunate that the residents in the home were woken by the smoke alarm and had all managed to leave the home before our first truck arrived. They’re very lucky to have gotten out of there before they were injured by the flames or smoke from the fire,” Fire Chief Chris Aubrey said.

“It took our crews about an hour to contain the flames but the guys did a great job and managed to limit the damage. It could have been a lot worse.”

After the initial fire was extinguished, crews remained on the scene to ensure that no hot spots were still active and to start the process of determining the cause of the fire.

“We’re pretty sure that the fire started in the garage, but we don’t have a point of origin as yet,” Aubrey said.

The chief estimates there is roughly $150,000 in damage, but said it was fortunate that most of the home’s contents escaped unscathed from water or smoke damage.

Neither of the homes adjacent to the property were affected, although at noon on Friday, there were still emergency services vehicles on site and a large area of the street was taped off with restricted access to residents only.

Aubrey emphasized the importance of having functioning smoke alarms and used this occurrence as a reminder for everyone to check their own alarms to make sure they are working.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

Just Posted

Peace Walk fundraiser for hospice runs on Sunday

Take a walk, have a snack, and help donate to a local charity

City of Victoria joins national food waste reduction program

The City is partnering in the Love Food, Hate Waste Program

Thousands attend 31st TD Art Gallery Paint-In

Artists display their work along 20 blocks of Moss Street

Details scarce as union confirms probe underway involving Victoria care homes

Island Health, VicPD offer no comment on report of investigation into alleged sexual assaults

Swimmer set for double crossing of Georgia Strait

Jill Yoneda’s Aug. 3 swim will benefit Canuck Place

BC Games: Day 2 comes to an end

Hundreds of medals have been handed out at the 2018 BC Summer Games in the Cowichan Valley

Brush fire breaks out west of Port Alberni

Fire forces partial closure of Highway 4 heading to Ucluelet and Tofino

Accident on Vancouver Island after artillery gun rolls down hill and damages taxi

Witness says accident happend about 1 p.m. Saturday; RCMP investigating

B.C. mining company, involved in 2014 spill, ordered to pay lost wages

Mount Polley Mining Company must pay wages to 26 employees who were laid off without proper notice

Two significant wildfires burning in southeastern B.C.

More than 20 fires were burning in the Southeast Fire Centre as of Saturday afternoon

Volunteers provide the glue that keeps BC Games moving

The 2018 Cowichan Summer Games had more than 2,300 volunteers on hand across Vancouver Island

No Name brand chicken nuggets recalled due to possible salmonella

Canadian Food Inspection Agency says multiple illnesses reported in B.C., Alberta and Ontario

Lodeiro scores twice to help Sounders beat Whitecaps 2-0

Seattle’s Nicolas Lodeiro opened the scoring in the fifth minute when he converted a penalty kick

Race walker breaks 18-year-old BC Games record

Zone 6 athlete Olivia Lundman crossed finish line with ease, to loud cheers in Cowichan

Most Read