The Our Children’s Centre day care in Saanich, damaged by fire last week, will likely remain closed going into February.
Meghan Baerg, a parent and treasurer for the Our Children’s Centre Society, said the extent of structural damage to the building remains unclear, and it’s likely much of the toys and furniture suffered smoke damage.
Fire broke out the early morning of Jan. 13 between the roof and ceiling panels of the day care at 4001 Seymour Pl. Saanich FD suspected a heating system in the ceiling sparked the fire.
The day care looked after 45 kids from infant to preschool age.
“Right now parents are taking time off work and some have found temporary care. It’s been very stressful,” she said.
Baerg said as of Friday, staff haven’t been able to enter the building to assess what can be salvaged and what needs replacing. CFAX Santa’s Anonymous has already donated a load of replacement toys, she said.
Despite the disruption, parents are happy that the Saanich Fire Department managed to quash the fire quickly and save the building. A crew used a thermal imaging camera to locate the seat of the fire.
“I was really worried. It’s such a great community and the children love it,” she said.