Fire leaves one person homeless

The Victoria Fire Department is warning residents to be careful when cooking food on the stove following a kitchen fire on Sunday evening.

  • Dec. 15, 2015 6:00 p.m.

The Victoria Fire Department is warning residents to be careful when cooking food on the stove following a kitchen fire on Sunday evening that’s left one person homeless.

Around 9:30 p.m., the fire department responded to alarm bells at an apartment complex at 710 Queens Ave.

Upon arrival, crews discovered that a stove-top oil fire had activated the sprinkler system in the kitchen, which extinguished the fire that was contained to the pot.

The resident had been cooking french fries in oil on the stove at the time of the incident. Officials believe the fire was likely caused by overheating the oil.

The blaze caused approximately $35,000 in damage, most of which came from the sprinkler activation. There was also some smoke and heat damage.

The fire marks the second within three days. On Dec. 11, crews responded to a fire at 841 Bay St. At the scene, they found the front exterior of the house in flames, but were quickly able to douse the fire, which occured near a natural gas meter supplying the home.

All five people inside the house were able to return to their suites. The fire is being treated as suspicious as the investigation continues.

 

 

Just Posted

Souper Bowls cook up support for Victoria youth

Youth Empowerment Society fundraising event set for April 4 at Crystal Gardens

West Shore Parks and Recreation plans new events to make up for concert cancellation

Comic Con, train show and lumber conference key pieces to recover lost revenue of Rock the Shores

Victoria Royals look ahead to Game 3 in playoff series

Best of seven series tied 1-1 after weekend play

Victoria producer’s docu-drama nominated at Canadian Screen Awards

1491: The Untold Story of the Americas Before Columbus tells history from Indigneous perspective

UVic project shows Keating Elementary students a helping hand

Victoria Hand Project offers free 3D printed arms in eight countries

VIDEO: Keeping the hope alive, 28 years later

Annual Michael Dunahee Keep the Hope Alive run raised money for Child Find B.C.

B.C. river cleanup crew finds bag of discarded sex toys

Chilliwack volunteers stumble on unexpected find while removing 600 lbs of trash from riverway

Trudeau sells housing plan in visit to hot real estate market in B.C.

Trudeau said the budget contains measures to help first-time buyers

Norway opens probe into why cruise ship ventured into storm

The Viking Sky was headed for southern Norway when it had engine problems on Saturday afternoon

Fired B.C. farmland commission chair backs NDP rule changes

Richard Bullock agrees with Lana Popham, ALC records don’t

Kamloops chamber of commerce director let go after controversial Facebook posts

Facebook account had derogatory comments about Muslims, Justin Trudeau

B.C. RCMP officer cleared after Taser incident seriously injures woman

Woman with knives refused to comply with orders therefore officer used appropriate level of force

‘Bikinishe’ swimwear retailer prompts Better Business Bureau warning

Watchdog has gotten dozens of complaints about company, which has been using fake Vancouver address

Woman wants Tofino to get a nude beach

“They may enjoy a surf and then walk around naked and just be free.”

Most Read