Oak Bay firefighters work a blaze on Eastdowne Road early this morning. Three people were in the home at the time of the fire.

Oak Bay firefighters work a blaze on Eastdowne Road early this morning. Three people were in the home at the time of the fire.

Firefighter pulls sleeping resident from basement while upstairs of Oak Bay home burns

Early morning blaze damages upper floor of Eastdowne home

A fire in a bedroom of an Oak Bay home pulled firefighters from their beds early this morning – and one lucky resident.

Oak Bay Fire was called to the home in the 2300 bock of Eastdowne Road around 12:30 a.m. on June 25.

“Upon arrival flames were showing through the upper dorm window,” said deputy chief Dave Cockle. “Initial actions by the fire dept were to knock that flame down.

When the smoke was too much for the deputy chief to initially enter a basement suite to check for occupants, Lt. Gord Marshall donned full gear to wake a resident in the home. Two other occupants were already out of the house.

“Determination is that it’s accidental,” Cockle said. “The damage is going to be around the $100,000 mark.”

The fire was contained to the upper hallway and upper bedroom where the blaze started.

Victoria and Saanich fire departments also attended. No injuries were reported by firefighters or the residents who were checked over and released by BC Ambulance paramedics.

“It was a very successful save on the part of the fire department,” said Cockle.