(Pixabay)

Former B.C. youth hockey coach charged with child porn offences, club says

Former coach at Burnaby Winter Club was arrested, charged and released on conditions

A former coach at a youth hockey club in the Lower Mainland has been released after being charged with child porn offences, the club says.

The coach, who cannot be named because of a publication ban, is charged with possession and distribution of child porn as well as attempting to lure a minor, according to Robert Ward, president of the Burnaby Winter Club’s board of directors.

The accused had worked with the club from August 2018 to last April, when his contract expired. He’d also worked for them for one season back in 2013 as an assistant coach.

There has been no indication if the charges have any connection to the club, Ward said.

He said Port Moody police contacted the organization last week, saying they had arrested, charged and released the man on conditions. He declined to share those conditions, but did say one of them bans the accused from being at or near the club or having any contact with its members.

The club sent a letter to parents on Friday about the charges, saying they were cooperating fully with police.

They also hosted a meeting for parents on Sunday, also inviting the Port Moody police, and spoke to several more parents during the season’s tryouts that weekend.

ALSO READ: North Vancouver music teacher accused of sexual misconduct involving girls

Ward told Black Press Media that the club wants to give members as much information as possible because “all of us our parents,” and called the allegations “very disturbing.”

The screening process for new hires is “extremely rigorous,” he added. It includes personal and professional references, a background check, and an online certification course on how to prevent abuse, bullying and harassment.

“There were no lapses in our background or screening,” Ward said. “We never had a single complaint about this coach. His year-end coaching surveys from the families were all positive.”

Port Moody police have not returned a request for comment.



laura.baziuk@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

City of Victoria expecting a 2020 deficit between $12.5 to $17.5 million

Victoria lost $1.2 million per month just from reduced parking fees during onset of pandemic

PHOTOS: Small crowd gathers to watch 231-tonne stacker-reclaimer loaded onto barge

The Dynamic Beast barge crane, known for work with Johnson Street Bridge, makes a return

Greater Victoria Point-in-Time count finds over 1,500 people homeless

Capital Regional District says count should be treated as an underestimate

Newly appointed Resilient Saanich committee to weigh in on new environmental policy framework

Council selects nine members, First Nations representative position remains open

Pay cuts, seating charts, COVID screening: How one Sidney venue is bringing back concerts

A growing number of bars and restaurants are welcoming back musicians under COVID-19 precautions

Alberta to require masks at schools this fall, but still no mandate in B.C.

B.C. students are also set to return to classrooms in September

30% of British Columbians would ‘wait and see’ before taking COVID vaccine: poll

Some are concerned about side effects, while others don’t think the virus is a big deal

Don’t leave your hand sanitizer in the sun and other tips to stay COVID safe this summer

Being mindful of staying outside and keeping hand sanitizer, sunscreen out of the sun recommended

What exactly is ‘old growth’ B.C. forest, and how much is protected?

Forests minister Doug Donaldson doesn’t support ‘moratorium’

Canadians can travel to Hawaii in September; no quarantine with negative COVID test

Travellers will be required to pay for their own tests prior to arriving

Crews work overnight to try to put out wildfire on Pender Island

Fire department and B.C. Wildfire Service crews extinguishing fire in ‘extremely difficult terrain’

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

Most Read