Gorge Road shutdown for sewer lines to end Friday

Gorge Road between Admirals and Tillicum roads is expected to reopen Friday (Dec. 20) after a nearly six-month closure

Gorge Road between Admirals and Tillicum roads is expected to reopen Friday (Dec. 20) after a nearly six-month closure to install new sewer lines.

The $1.7-million project took nearly twice as long to complete than expected, after crews unearthed a number of items underground that slowed work.

“The contractor encountered extra rock that was not shown on our geotechnical investigation, and we went through numerous archeological sites,” said Sean Elliott, senior sewer technologist with Saanich.

Bone fragments, middens and small artifacts were uncovered throughout the project. There’s evidence that First Nations occupied the area as long as 2,800 years ago.

Saanich had access to a contracted archeological monitor who ensured the safe removal of the culturally sensitive material, with direction from First Nations elders.

The bone fragments were added to a burial ceremony held Dec. 11 for remains discovered during excavation for the Craigflower Bridge project earlier in the year.

Jim Hemstock, Saanich’s manager of capital projects, says the simultaneous closure of the bridge kept traffic flows in the area lower than normal – which made it the perfect time to do the sewer projects.

“Hundreds of cars an hour would come over the bridge and turn down Gorge Road, so with the bridge closed we figured that would be the time to do (this project) – we don’t have to detour several hundred vehicles through the neighbourhoods,” he said.

The Gorge Road work was part of a Capital Regional District project to upgrade a sewage pump station at Austin Avenue.

The first part of the project was installing the new sewage lines along Gorge Road from Tillicum to Admirals.

Gorge Road is expected to reopen by late afternoon Friday. Also open to traffic for the first time since April will be Admirals between Gorge Road and Cowper Street. That section of road was closed for the bridge project, resulting in north-south traffic cutting through side streets.

Colquitz Avenue resident Geoff Godfrey says he’s looking forward to having that section of Admirals open again, so vehicles can access Gorge without cutting through quiet residential roads.

– with files from Kyle Wells

kslavin@saanichnews.com

 

 

Just Posted

Victoria City Council approves inclusionary housing policy

After years of back and forth, the policy will be ratified in two weeks

Filipino Heritage Month event takes over Centennial Square

Dancing, music and food highlight Mabuhay Day celebration in Victoria

West Shore residents report finding anti-SOGI 123 flyers in mailboxes

SD62 trustee Ravi Parmar says the flyers are ‘garbage’

Sidney Museum donates 60,000 Lego bricks to local schools

Sidney, Deep Cove, ḰELSET, Brentwood, Keating and Cordova Bay elementary schools get Lego avalanche

Victoria Weekender: What’s happening this weekend, June 15-16

Car Free YYJ, a barber battle and an Outdoor Discovery Day

Homalco tour gives glimpse into area’s ‘People, Land, Water’

First Nation business mixes cultural components with wildlife excursions

Bombers down B.C. Lions 33-23 in season opener

Former Lion Andrew Harris leads Winnipeg with 148 rushing yards

Northern B.C. family remembers murdered Indigenous woman with memorial walk

Still no closure for Ramona Wilson’s family 25 years later

Monkey spotted on late-night jaunt in Campbell River

Conservation officers also apparently looking for cougar in the area

B.C. university to offer mentorship program for former youth in care

Students using the provincial tuition waiver program will soon be able to form a community at KPU

Cyclists competing in one of the toughest bike races on the planet pass through Fernie

Divide riders looking strong as they finish first leg of 4160 km race

You might not know these B.C. records are public

Hired a lawyer to file a civil claim? Those are published online

B.C. bus driver loses case to get job back after texting while driving full bus

An arbitator ruled that Tim Wesman’s phone usage was a “a reckless disregard for public safety”

Most Read