Saanich Fire Department and BCEHS responded to a grease fire on Tattersall Drive on Monday night. (Black Press File Photo)

Grease fire in Saanich prompts reminder to have proper fire extinguisher on hand

One woman was involved in the incident and treated on-scene for smoke inhalation

On Monday night in the 900 block of Tattersall Drive in Saanich, fire crews and health services attended a grease fire, briefly blocking the road between Quadra Street and Saanich Road. No flames or smoke could be seen from the outside, but one female resident was treated on-scene for smoke inhalation.

READ ALSO: Fire at BC Hydro substation extinguished quickly

Dan Wood, Deputy Fire Chief at Saanich Fire Department, said the grease fire started just after 9 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 18. He said crews ensured the fire was confined to stove, ventilated the residence, and issued a compliance notice to the resident to get the stove serviced.

The incident involved only one resident, who had inhaled some smoke and was assessed and treated on scene by emergency health services. No one was sent to hospital and no injuries were sustained.

READ ALSO: Theft, intoxication and beach fire lead Oak Bay’s police calls last week

“Citizens are reminded to make sure they have a properly functioning fire extinguisher on hand and close to cooking surfaces,” Wood said. He said fire extinguishers should be suitable for type B fires, which are fires in flammable liquid.

sophie.heizer@saanichnews.com


Like us on Facebook and follow @yrlocaljourno

Just Posted

Technical difficulties delay Victoria’s $500,000 Christmas light village

The Lights of Wonder display was originally set to open on Dec. 13

Victoria council chambers packed for ongoing environmental cruise ship discussions

Union workers, neighbourhood associations and more gathered for environmental conversations

City of Victoria accepts $1 million cheque from seniors home developer

Milliken Development put forward the cash to the Housing Reserve Fund

VIDEO: Boys help rescue Cariboo bear cub

The cub, weighing just 24lbs, has been taken to wildlife sanctuary in Northwest B.C. for the winter

Greater Victoria 2019 holiday craft fair roundup

Get a jump on your holiday shopping

‘Things haven’t changed enough:’ Ecole Polytechnique anniversary prompts reflection

Fourteen women were fatally shot by a gunman at the Montreal school on Dec. 6, 1989

Bear raids freezer, gorges on Island family’s Christmas baking

Hungry bruin virtually ignored meat and fish, focused, instead, on the sweets

Second warning on romaine lettuce from California region as another E. coli case reported

Two cases of E. coli have been reported in relation to the illness in the U.S.

Residents in B.C. city could face 133% tax hike in ‘worst case’ lawsuit outcome: report

An average home could see a tax increase of $2,164 in one year

POLL: Will you be donating to charities over the holiday season?

Many here in Victoria joined others around the world to take part… Continue reading

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Dec. 3

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Most Read