Highway speed demon faces criminal charge

A Victoria man suspected filming himself careening down the Trans-Canada Highway at 300 kilometres per hour now faces a criminal charge.

A Victoria man suspected of filming himself careening down the Trans-Canada Highway at speeds reaching 300 kilometres per hour now faces a criminal charge.

Randy George Scott, 25, was charged on Tuesday with a single count of dangerous driving.

Scott is accused of weaving in and out of traffic at high speed on the stretch of highway from McKenzie Avenue past the Millstream interchange on April 6.

A two-minute video shot from a first-person perspective behind the handle bars of a Yamaha R1 motorcycle was posted to YouTube on April 8, went viral and quickly caught the attention of police.

“The is an egregious example of someone who is disregarding all norms of traffic safety. You can hardly put words to it,” said Saanich police spokesperson Sgt. Dean Jantzen. “It’s a very scary piece of video. I’ve watched it several times.”

Police identified Scott early on in the investigation as the suspected driver, but at the time,  didn’t have enough evidence to proceed with charges.

Given the initial lack of evidence, Jantzen said, police were only able to issue tickets against the registered owner of the vehicle, Scott’s mother.

Those charges under the Motor Vehicle Act are proceeding independently from the criminal charge laid against Scott, who is a familiar face to police across the region through past contacts, Jantzen noted.

According to court records, Scott has amassed a long list of driving infractions over the past five years. There is currently a warrant out for his arrest.

“We have been looking for him and we haven’t been able to catch up to him yet,” Jantzen said on Wednesday.

Three critical witnesses provided enough evidence to connect Scott to the video, which led to the criminal charge.

Police aren’t sharing any further details on the information provided while the matter is before the courts, Jantzen said.

The motorcycle remains property of the Crown after being seized under the Civil Forfeiture Act.

nnorth@saanichnews.com

-with files from Kyle Slavin

 

 

 

 

Just Posted

Royal Roads University to host a Black History Month panel

Four speakers will discuss being of African heritage in B.C.

VIDEO: Friday night fire outside Saanich Staples

Witness says two employees helped put out blaze

Victoria non-profit empowers women escaping abusive homes with a fresh start

Organization’s gift certificate program helped around 400 women last year

VIDEO: Royal Bay Secondary students take flight in ‘Peter and the Starcatcher’

Play tells the story of the orphan who becomes Peter Pan

Volunteers begin work on memorial garden for former Metchosin counsellor

Garden a fitting tribute to Moralea Milne, a champion of Garry oak ecosystems

VIDEO: Iconic ‘snow cone’ takes shape at B.C. park near Clearwater

Snow cone forming at Wells Gray Provincial Park one that would make Disney’s Queen Elsa proud

POLL: Will you be wearing pink to take a stand against bullying?

Schools and workplaces across Greater Victoria and around the province will be… Continue reading

Pink Shirt Day a reminder to ‘T.H.I.N.K.’ before posting on social media

‘Be Kind’ message on shirts sold for anti-bullying activities of Wednesday, Feb. 27

A ‘warm embrace’ for grieving parents at funeral of seven young fire victims

Mourners offered love and support to Kawthar Barho, mother of seven children

Indigenous leaders, politicians say Trans Mountain report flawed

The National Energy Board has endorsed an expansion of the Trans Mountain pipeline a second time

UPDATE: Reports of rashes prompt closure of all Harrison Hot Springs pools

Public pool available after Fraser Health shut down all five mineral pools until further notice

Legislation to protect B.C. farmland comes into effect

Regulations enhance food security, encourage long-term farming

Have you heard the legend of Shuswaggi, the Shuswap Lake monster?

Witness accounts as old as 1904, and as recent as 2018, place a creature in the lake’s depths

UPDATE: B.C. ticket holder winner of $25.9-million Lotto Max jackpot

Next draw set for Mar. 1 with an estimated jackpot of $10 million

Most Read