Kevin Lillingston, fire prevention officer with Nanaimo Fire Rescue, investigates the scene of a house fire Saturday at Rovere Place. (GREG SAKAKI/The News Bulletin)

Kevin Lillingston, fire prevention officer with Nanaimo Fire Rescue, investigates the scene of a house fire Saturday at Rovere Place. (GREG SAKAKI/The News Bulletin)

House fire blamed on spontaneous combustion

Rags and foam brushes saturated with wood stain caused the early-morning fire Saturday in Nanaimo.

The fire that destroyed a north-end home was sparked by spontaneous combustion, say firefighters.

Rags and foam brushes saturated with wood stain caused the early-morning fire Saturday at a house on Rovere Place, according to Kevin Lillingston, fire prevention officer with Nanaimo Fire Rescue.

Lillingston said in an e-mail that the brush and rags were improperly disposed.

“The items were placed in a plastic garbage can which was located in a workshop in the home,” he said. “After a period of 12-14 hours, spontaneous ignition leading to combustion occurred in the garbage can.”

Rags soaked with wood stain also started a shed fire in Nanaimo last month.

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up