With Tuesday’s conviction of a Victoria man who tried to murder a Victoria patrol officer last year, the lead investigator in the case is speaking publicly about the ordeal for the first time.
“We are confident that justice has been served,” said Victoria police Staff Sgt. Scott McGregor.
He testified during Guy Hervé Séguin’s trial in B.C. Supreme Court last week. Crown prosecutor Steve Fudge also played the videotape of McGregor interviewing Séguin about the attack.
Late Tuesday afternoon the trial jury found Séguin guilty of intentionally trying to murder Const. Lane Douglas Hunt as she was leaving a convenience store in downtown Victoria on Jan. 17, 2011.
She had been called to the 7-Eleven at 816 Douglas St. to investigate a shoplifting complaint.
Douglas Hunt, who was 24 years old at the time, testified in court last week that Séguin swung at her with a knife but she managed to block the blows.
It was through Lane’s physical strength and incredible determination that she was able to fend off this attack. We are grateful that she is back serving with the VicPD family,” McGregor said in a statement.
Douglas Hunt also testified that she threw her attacker to the ground gain more leverage, and the pair struggled until bystanders came to Douglas Hunt’s aid.
The officer suffered puncture wounds to her neck and her hands were badly sliced, requiring surgery.
“That day challenged all the members of VicPD, but our officers and civilian staff pulled together to support Lane and her family while undertaking the extensive task of investigating this crime,” said McGregor, a veteran investigator with the department’s major crimes unit.
“Any major file like this takes a team to see it through to the end. VicPD would like recognize the civilians who came to Lane’s aide, Crown prosecutors, and the host of others who helped us through this file.”
Séguin’s sentencing hearing will be scheduled in B.C. Supreme Court on March 21.