Langford man seeks title of worst driver in Victoria

Saanich police nab allegedly impaired driver with no licence and a lengthy history of driving prohibitions

Saanich police are celebrating Christmas in July, but a Langford man with a dozen driving prohibitions isn’t.

Last Saturday evening, as police conducted road checks in support of the Counterattack program dubbed Christmas in July, officers encountered a 29-year-old driving without a licence and a stack of driving prohibitions.

At about 10:15 p.m., police in the 3300-block of Quadra St. watched a white 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier turn abruptly in an attempt to evade the roadblock. A traffic safety unit officer soon located the driver hiding in a nearby underground parking lot.

“On speaking to the driver, he immediately smelled the odour of alcohol,” said Saanich police spokesperson Sgt. Dean Jantzen. “This is once again an example of an individual trying to avoid a roadblock for obvious reasons.”

The man failed two breath tests and was later found to be driving without a licence. He already had 11 separate driving prohibitions since July 2007, including a requirement to have an ignition interlock device in his vehicle and completing a mandatory rehab program.

Those conditions were obsolete – his driver’s licence had long been cancelled.

He received another 90 day immediate roadside prohibition. The Superintendent of Motor Vehicles has suspended the man from driving until June 13, 2015. He also faced an impaired driving charge.

“That single contact in and of itself really does explain why we’re out here doing these things,” Jantzen said.

“Although the rest of the evening was fairly quiet, it’s this one individual here that we were out there looking for and as luck would have it, he drew attention to himself and was contacted by our officers and safely removed from roadways. Hopefully this time for good.”

Three other drivers also received IRPs during the roadblock, two 24-hour suspensions for drug use, and a second related to alcohol and breaching a court condition.

“These are the people that we’re really looking for,” he added. “It’s not the individuals having a glass of wine with dinner.”

nnorth@saanichnews.com

 

 

 

Just Posted

Runners invited to get set for the 40th annual Goodlife Marathon

More than 9,000 runners expected to pack Victoria streets in October

Moose Hide campaign takes message to Canadian schools

Campaign launches new K-12 education platform

Lost wedding ring found on Valentine’s Day

Dan Milbrath’s ring is back where it belongs

Victoria installation for the blind causes problems for those with mobility issues

The truncated domes installed at Blanshard and Fort streets aren’t helpful for everyone

Funds being raised for double-amputee Ecuadorean dancer

North Saanich woman is putting out collection jars if people would like to donate

Trudeau’s principal secretary, Gerald Butts, resigns amid SNC-Lavalin furor

Butts categorically denies the accusation that he or anyone else in the PMO improperly pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould

Poverty coalition has high hopes for B.C. poverty reduction strategy

Funding allocation expected to be released with 2019 budget

‘How did we get here?’: B.C. mom of transplant recipient worries about measles outbreaks

Addison, 7, cannot get a live vaccine because she has a heart transplant

Steelhead LNG stops work on Kwispaa LNG project near Bamfield

Huu-ay-aht First Nations ‘deeply disappointed; Steelhead says funding is the problem

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls for public inquiry over SNC-Lavalin questions

Vancouver member of Parliament Jody Wilson-Raybould resigned from cabinet last week

Canadian airlines waiting for guidance from Ottawa over X gender option

Major U.S. airlines said they will change their process so passengers can identify themselves along non-binary lines

‘Violent’ B.C. man wanted on Canada-wide warrant

Prince George man with ties to Vernon sought by police

Homicide police investigate assault turned deadly in Surrey

60-year-old man died at hospital after assault

Deported B.C. man who came to Canada as a baby granted chance at return

Len Van Heest was deported to the Netherlands in 2017

Most Read