More than 100 people and 50 staff are recovering after the norovirus swept through a Victoria seniors’ home earlier this month.
Since the July 11 outbreak, 9 people have died at Selkirk Place along the Gorge waterway, but officials are cautioning they haven’t linked any of the deaths directly to the flu-like illness.
“Those deaths have not been attributed to the outbreak of norovirus,” said Sarah Plank, Vancouver Island Health Authority spokeswoman. The virus, which causes vomiting and diarrhea, may have been a contributing factor in some of the deaths, Plank said.
Staff at Selkirk Place have been following standard outbreak protocols while 11 people currently remain ill, she said.
“That means isolating sick patients in their rooms and bringing them meals rather them going to the common dining room, trying to limit visitation and doing lots of extra cleaning.”
VIHA functions as an oversight body in cases of contained outbreak, providing guidance and ensuring regular updates are provided to public health officials.
The independently run Selkirk Place opened in December 2008 and offers assisted living for seniors.