Oak Bay police seize stolen goods from under home

Back deck thought to be storage area for stolen items

Oak Bay Police responded to a home in the 2100-block of Newton Street following a call from a homeowner of a man sleeping under his back deck around 8 a.m. on June 12.

When police arrived they found two men behind the home, waiting for the homeowner’s 40-year-old son to meet them there. The two men and the son are all well-known to police. Apparently unknown to the two men was the fact that the son was no longer living in his parents’ home.

The area under the deck was packed full of items, said police. As they began to look around, they noticed that several of the objects matched the description of items that had been reported stolen from unlocked vehicles the day before.

Twenty-eight items were seized from under the deck. All are believed to have been stolen from vehicles in Oak Bay and along the Saanich/Victoria border. Discarded packaging and other signs led police to believe that many other stolen items have since come and gone from the space.

More than 100 gift cards, including Oxfam cards of $58 and iTunes cards of $25, were found among the stolen items, said police.

Police were able to return keys, a briefcase and a brand new food processor to victims of theft the day before. A passport will be returned to its owner in Victoria, a phone has been returned to an Oak Bay resident and a GPS unit has been returned to its owner in Saanich.

Oak Bay police still have many more items such as cameras, bags of clothing, first aid kits, tools and video game systems that are believed to be stolen but have not yet been reported.

The importance of reporting any theft of property, no matter how seemingly insignificant, could help police in returning seized property and might even assist in helping police to solve other crimes, said Chief Const. Mark Fisher.

The investigation into just how prolific the three men have been in their apparent criminal activities is ongoing.

 

 

Just Posted

The City of Victoria is proposing a northern contraction from Haultain Street to Bay Street with a western contraction from Cook Street to Chambers Street for Fernwood. (Illustration/Google Maps)
Community association calls for input on Victoria boundary changes

City of Victoria proposes changes to neighbourhood borders

Divyesh Nagarajan, third from the left, has founded the Be My Friend project to bring support and companionship to vulnerable youth and address North Saanich’s food security challenges. (Courtesy of Divyesh Nagarajan)
Greater Victoria teen looks to connect vulnerable youth with a buddy, bolster food security

Be My Friend project was founded by St. Michaels University School student Divyesh Nagarajan

These are just a handful of Vancouver Island’s missing person cases. Clockwise from top left: Lisa Marie Young, Lindsey Nicholls, Micheal Dunahee, Jesokah Adkens, Belinda Cameron and Emma Fillipoff. (File photos courtesy of family members and police departments)
Gorge skull fragment could bring closure to one Greater Victoria missing person case

Skeletal remains found in Greater Victoria have not yet been identified

(Black Press Media file photo)
UPDATE: Sooke Road reopens after gas leak at Colwood Corners

SD62 warns afternoon buses could be delayed

SIG
Policing amid pandemic challenging, says Sooke’s top cop

Mounties document reduction in property crime and impaired driving

B.C. Labour Minister Harry Bains in the B.C. legislature, May 13, 2019. (Hansard TV)
VIDEO: B.C. to provide 3 days of sick pay for COVID-19 absences

Province will support employers on cost, labour minister says

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C.’s COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature, April 29, 2021. (B.C. government)
B.C.’s COVID-19 rate creeps up again, 600 new cases Wednesday

One more death, 423 people in hospital with virus

B.C. Agriculture Minister Lana Popham takes questions in the B.C. legislature in 2017. (Hansard TV)
UPDATE: B.C. will fund another year of fresh fruit, vegetables, milk in schools

John Horgan government working on school meal program

Surrey RCMP is releasing sketches of a suspect in an “indecent act” at the Coyote Creek Elementary playground on April 30, 2021. Police said the suspect was clean-shaven “during some interactions” and on “other occasions had stubble outlining a goatee and mustache.” (Images: Surrey RCMP handout)
Vancouver mayor-elect Kennedy Stewart addresses supporters in Vancouver on Sunday, Oct. 21, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Vancouver mayor says there’s no time to redo details of drug decriminalization plan

Kennedy Stewart says a federal election could see the small window of opportunity close on the city’s bid for an exemption from criminal provisions on simple possession of small amounts of drugs

Premier Mike Horgan received his first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. (Facebook/John Horgan)
More than 50% of people eligible in B.C. have received 1st vaccine dose

‘We’ve made extraordinary progress together over the past few weeks,’ says Premier Horgan

The Independent Investigations Office of B.C. is investigating the shooting of a Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation woman in the Ucluelet First Nation community of Hitacu on May 8. (Black Press Media file photo)
Indigenous woman shot by police was holding a replica gun, says Ucluelet First Nation

Woman has been identified as a member of the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation

Most Read