Oil fire causes $25,000 in damage to Saanich home

A pan of cooking oil caught fire in a Saanich kitchen Wednesday evening, causing approximately $25,000 worth of damage.

A pan of cooking oil caught fire in a Saanich kitchen Wednesday evening, causing approximately $25,000 worth of damage.

Nineteen firefighters on two engines and two ladder trucks responded to the blaze in the 2900-block of Orillia St. at 6:25 p.m.

Light smoke was seen coming from the upper floor of the two-storey home.

Crews managed to gain access to the home and successfully extinguished the fire, keeping it contained to the kitchen.

Two residents inside the home at the time were able to escape. No injuries were reported.

kslavin@saanichnews.com