Organizers announced the Victoria International Buskers Festival has been cancelled.

Organizer pulls the plug on buskers festival

The Victoria International Buskers Festival has been cancelled after five seasons of entertainment in the city.

The Victoria International Buskers Festival has been cancelled after five seasons of entertainment in the city.

Festival executive director John Vickers announced the cancellation earlier this week, stating a lack of funding has forced the festival, which was originally scheduled for July 14 to 23, to come to a grinding halt.

“The larger issue however is now the festival does not have city investment support, you would not be able to rely on other levels of government fulfilling their historic commitments further down the road,” Vickers said in a release.

“To assume those dollars would be there and continue to operate would be very risky for our society and also risk accumulating more debt even with planned fundraising efforts.”

A fundraising gala in February has also been cancelled.

In the past, the festival has drawn dozens of entertainers from around the world, and brought thousands of tourists and residents to Victoria’s Inner Harbour to watch the performances.

While Vickers’ festival has been cancelled, another buskers festival has been planned for the summer.

Last month the Downtown Victoria Business Association (DVBA), along with Tourism Victoria, the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority and the Hotel Association of Greater Victoria, announced the addition of the Downtown Victoria Buskers Festival.

The six-day festival will take place on several stages in Victoria from July 11 to 16. There will also be a variety of “busk” stops scattered throughout the downtown.

“Festivals are one of many drivers of visitation to our destination and we are pleased to see a strong organization such as the DVBA lead this initiative,” said Tourism Victoria president and CEO Paul Nursey in a previous release.

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Scarlet fever reported at Victoria elementary school

Parents advised to look for symptoms of ‘strawberry tongue’ and rash

Saanich dog walkers react to potential review of bylaws allowing off-leash dogs on beaches

Focus should have remained on migratory birds, not on dog behaviour, says Cadboro Bay dog walker

No dogs allowed off-leash at Luxton Fairgrounds in Langford

New sign placed by Metchosin Farmers Institute on Wednesday, Feb. 19

North Saanich’s Deep Cove Market up for sale for almost $1.8 million

Long-time owner Rosemary Scott hopes the public will understand her decision

Council approve temporary storage to extend life of Oak Bay Fire Hall

It’s cute, it’s iconic, but the picturesque Oak Bay Fire Hall is… Continue reading

Protecting privacy key to stopping spread of COVID-19, B.C. health officials say

The number of coronavirus cases in B.C. remains at seven

Toffoli scores OT winner as Canucks beat Habs 4-3

Demko makes 37 saves for Vancouver

Private clinics would harm ‘ordinary’ people using public system in B.C.: lawyer

Health Minister Adrian Dix announced in 2018 that the government would begin to fine doctors $10,000

B.C. terminates contract with hospice society refusing assisted death

Delta Hospice Society loses hospital service fund of $1.5 million

Child in hospital following fatal crash that killed father, sibling on B.C. highway

The single vehicle crash occured near Kamloops on Highway 5A

‘Die!’: Vernon councillor mailed death threat

This story contains information that might be sensitive to some readers

Hidden message connects Castlegar homeowners decades apart

The Rodgers family was surprised when a message fell out of the walls as they were renovating

Two B.C. men plead guilty to bus-terminal assault of man with autism in Ontario

Parmvir Chahil and Jaspaul Uppal due to be sentenced in June for aggravated assault

Most Read