Marion Little

PEERS loses drop-in centre, social program

The resource loss is due to changes in funding structure and 'tough decisions' by PEERS staff

Hundreds of Victoria sex workers are now going without resources, as PEERS Victoria Resource Society quietly closed the doors to its drop-in centre and shut down its most incremental program last month.

The Elements program, which since 1998 has given many Victoria sex workers their first chance, was disbanded indefinitely on Aug. 9, and the daytime drop-in centre was closed to all walk-in clientele Aug. 16.

The resource loss is due, in part, to a complex change in funding structure and some “tough decisions” PEERS staff was forced to make with an impending deficit.

PEERS will continue its daytime and nighttime outreach services, but only 10 per cent of its current 515 clientele have been matched with service providers, leaving 90 per cent of those women with few or no resources. Three staff positions were also lost in the cuts.

“This is a really painful and tragic time for the whole community, and the only thing I can hope is that this is the contraction before the expansion, just like a heartbeat,” said PEERS executive director Marion Little. “Just as I trust my own heart, all we can do now is trust our greater community will rally around us to protect us and help us find our beat again.”

Little says the decision has been looming since 2011, due to the implementation of the new provincial integrated case management system. In order for social assistance groups to receive reimbursement funds for services provided, many more administrative steps were required, and much more personal information was demanded of clients.

While huge risk was assessed for clients that would now be required to issue a full name and social insurance number just to access services (and all service providers attached to the system would be able to access this data), the funding trouble grew from the administrative side.

“We used to offer bus tickets to clients to help access our services, but where it used to take one or two administrative moves to be reimbursed for that, now it took us 30 – for each ticket – and there are so many more complex services we offer that we were losing so much staff time to administrative roles, until we could basically no longer afford our own services,” said Little.

A spokesman from the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation was unavailable for comment.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Victoria’s plastic bag ban ended by Supreme Court of Canada

City’s leave to appeal lower court’s decision denied

Victoria man charged after dog killed

Brandon Norman Bartlett, 39, faces one charge of killing or injuring an animal

Royal BC Museum’s Woolly the Mammoth turns 40 years old

The museum is hosting a party on Jan. 26

Sooke boardwalk reopens to public

Downed tree damages structure during last week’s wind storm

James Bay to host third annual Window Wanderland display

Residents are encouraged to get creative with their designs

B.C.-based firefighting plane crashes in Australia, killing three

Three people are confirmed dead in the crash in New South Wales

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Jan. 21

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

B.C. privacy commissioner suggests media civility for Prince Harry and Meghan

Lawyers for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex reportedly sent a letter to British press threatening legal action

One person in Vancouver being monitored for coronavirus, feds say

Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu said five or six people are being monitored in Canada

Gap between cost of legal and illegal cannabis keeps growing: Stats Canada

In B.C., legal pot cost $9.32 per gram when bought legally

The word ‘landlord’ is too negative, one B.C. councillor says

Coun. Dave Loewen says term should be replaced by ‘rental housing provider’ in new housing strategy

“Major road failure” shuts down highway in and out of Tofino-Ucluelet

A rock crashed down onto Hwy. 4 early Thursday morning.

Canada prepares as WHO decides whether to declare global coronavirus emergency

The city of Wuhan, China, has shut down outbound flights and trains

Survey finds support among Canadians for broader assisted-dying law

The survey was conducted Jan. 17 to 21 among 1,552 Canadians eligible to vote

Most Read