Pot on stove blamed for Saanich blaze

One cat dies in house fire on Darwin Ave this morning, firefighters rescue second cat

  • Apr. 16, 2014 7:00 p.m.

A pot left on a stove is taking blame for a fire this morning (April 16) that claimed a pet in Saanich.

Saanich Fire Department responded to the 800 block of Darwin Ave. shortly after 11:30 a.m. after reports of smoke coming from a home.

One resident got out of the building and firefighters pulled two cats from the home – one died.

The fire was quickly extinguished in the kitchen area of the upstairs living unit of the two storey home.

A total of 18 firefighters with two engine companies, two ladder trucks, a rescue truck and a command vehicle responded.

Fire and smoke damage is estimated at $75,000.

reporter@saanichnews.com