File photo

Province opens bid for Douglas Street bus lanes

Northbound lanes could cost $12.75-million

A dedicated bus lane along the Douglas Street corridor could be a reality by as early as next fall.

The B.C. government opened a construction bid Tuesday morning to extend the northbound Douglas Street bus lanes from Tolmie Avenue to the Burnside Bridge.

The bid follows the City of Victoria’s tender for southbound bus and bikes lanes from Tolmie to Hillside Avenues, which closes later this month. The goal is to widen Douglas in order to provide priority bus lanes that Mayor Lisa Helps has previously said she hopes lead to 24/7 bus service.

“We are listening to people’s concerns and ideas and are committed to bringing in the right solutions to clear up the traffic congestion in our region,” said Mitzi Dean, MLA for Esquimalt-Metchosin, in a press release.

The project is estimated to cost $12.75 million, with the provincial government expected to contribute $8.1 million, and the federal government the remaining $4.6 million under the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund.

Bus lanes from Goldstream Avenue to the Trans-Canada Highway on-ramp are also being considered by the Victoria Regional Transit Commission, the City of Colwood and the Town of View Royal.

lauren.boothby@vicnews.com

Just Posted

Shaving minutes off commutes among the goals for Victoria bus lanes

Work on southbound Douglas Street lane between Tolmie and Hillside getting underway

VicPD nab distracted driver with expired licence

On the phone while in motion, man had overdue fines from driving while impaired

Cooking with ‘Killer’

Reporter Dawn Gibson shares some of her favourite meals to make

Vic-Alert faces tidal wave of registration after tsunami warnings

City of Victoria system is free and provides early warnings of disaster

Sirens don’t sing in tsunami warning for Esquimalt

Officials pleased with process, say sirens would have been activated had threat escalated.

WATCH: Greater Victoria residents gather at higher ground during tsunami warning

Ocean Boulevard and the Esquimalt Lagoon reopened shortly before 5 a.m. Tuesday

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberals get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

Saanich signals support for in-fill developments in Gorge-Tillicum

The Gorge-Tillicum neighbourhood continues to experience infill. Council’s committee-of-the-whole signaled Saanich’s support… Continue reading

How high is safe from a tsunami? Four metres above sea level

Be disaster ready with food, water and clothing for seven days

Victoria Film Festival set for triumphant return to the big screen

Two decades on, diverse film lineups keep movie-goers coming to the box office

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Victoria’s most wanted for the week of Jan. 23

Crime Stoppers will pay a reward of up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrests or the seizure of property or drug

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

Most Read