Quick-thinking residents help contain fire in Colwood

Quick-thinking residents help contain fire in Colwood

Department says fire would have been worse if not for actions of tenant and neighbour

Quick-thinking residents helped contain a fire at a residence in Colwood over the weekend.

On Saturday, Nov. 18, the Colwood Fire Department attended a structure fire on Charnley Place.

A downstairs tenant was alerted by the sound of a smoke alarm and went upstairs to investigate, only to find the residence filled with smoke and a fire in the kitchen.

He evacuated the building and called 911. A neighbour also attempted to extinguish the fire with a portable fire extinguisher and was partially successful.

Upon arrival, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

“At the end of the day no occupants or firefighters were injured and the seriousness of the fire would have been significantly greater had it not been for working smoke alarms and the quick actions of the tenant and the neighbour,” said a release.

There was fire damage to the kitchen and extensive smoke damage to the structure. Residents of the home are being assisted by the joint Colwood/View Royal ESS program.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

kendra.wong@goldstreamgazette.com