A student took a photo of the message that was written on a mirror inside the boys’ bathroom at Skeena Middle School. It reads, ‘School shooting Thursday or Friday.’ (Facebook photo)

Fourth threat in a week involves two northwest B.C. schools

Multiple threats, later deemed to be low-risk, were made at schools in Terrace and Kitimat

Police investigated yet another threat that turned out to be a false alarm involving a school in northwest B.C.

Mounties in Kitimat received information from Mount Elizabeth Secondary School on Monday morning about a Facebook post depicting a gun and knife, with the messages “Coming back to Kitimat with these” and “Big city girl is back IG.”

Const. Kurtis Fink said they found the person responsible and determined there was no danger to the public.

Officers had already been posted at Mount Elizabeth and Skeena Middle School in Terrace that day, following multiple threats made in the last week that were later deemed to be low-risk.

Superintendent Katherine McIntosh posted a statement online on Sunday about a social media post that appeared to target both schools.

READ MORE: Concerns eased over threat against Skeena Middle School

“Please be informed that school district officials were alerted to a concerning message posted on the Facebook Terrace Buy & Sell at 3:00 p.m. today, May 12. We have been aware that the messages have been posted from both the Terrace and Kitimat communities,” McIntosh wrote on the Coast Mountain School District’s website.

“The RCMP and Safer Schools Together have determined this is a low-level risk event.”

Last Tuesday, a message reading “School shooting Thursday or Friday” was written on the mirror of a boys’ washroom at the Skeena school.

“We immediately activated our multidisciplinary violence threat risk assessment process, which involves police and other key community partners,” principal Phillip Barron later wrote in a letter to parents.

“The threat was determined to be low risk and steps were immediately taken to address the concern and ensure appropriate supports were in place for all concerned.”

RELATED: Social media bomb scare targets Kitimat high school

Nevertheless, police were posted on school grounds for the rest of the week.

On Friday, district officials were informed of another threatening message on social media, again found to be low-risk.

McIntosh said school staff and parents were kept informed throughout the week and counsellors were available.

“The school district will be conducting its own investigation into these incidents. The school district has activated its multi-disciplinary Violence Threat Risk Assessment (VTRA) process. This involves the RCMP and other community partners,” she said.

Parents took to social media to voice their concerns, with some deciding to keep their children home Friday despite the school’s decision to stay open.

READ MORE: Prince George school evacuated after threats made: RCMP

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

 

A photo of the letter sent to parents from Skeena Middle School principal Phillip Barron assuring them their children were safe and administrative staff are working closely with Terrace RCMP in response to the threat. (Facebook photo)

Mount Elizabeth Middle Secondary School. Photo Gerry Leibel

Just Posted

B.C. Transit saves $300,000, scores 28 used fareboxes idle in California

‘Someone joked maybe we can buy used fareboxes on eBay,’ CEO says

PHOTOS: City of Colwood hosts a ‘heartwarming start’ to the holidays

Colwood Christmas Light Up Celebration sees surge in attendance

Tenants above Wellburns uncertain after ‘nightmare’ sewage flood ousts them indefinitely

Tenants evacuated after sewage flooded basement of century-old building

Victoria cycling community raises concern over new bike lane designs

High traffic along a corridor needs to be considered, Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition says

Hundreds of students gather at Government House to decorate Christmas Trees

The annual tradition let Grade 2 and 3 students help celebrate for the holidays

VIDEO: John Lennon’s iconic Rolls Royce rolls into Camosun College for checkup

Royal BC Museum, Camosun College and Coachwerks Restorations come together to care for car

POLL: Will you be donating to charities over the holiday season?

Many here in Victoria joined others around the world to take part… Continue reading

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Dec. 3

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

VIDEO: Rockslide closes part of Highway 93 in Fairmont Hot Springs

Geotechnical team called in to do an assessment after rocks fell from hoodoos

Petition calls for appeal of ex-Burns Lake mayor’s sentence for sex assault

Prosecution service says Luke Strimbold’s case is under review

Northwest B.C. wildlife shelter rescues particularly tiny bear cub

Shelter co-founder says the cub weighs less than a third of what it should at this time of year

BC firefighters to help battle Australian bushfires

Canada sent 22 people, including 7 from B.C.

B.C. NDP touts the end of MSP premiums

Horgan, James held news conference to reiterate that people will get their last bill this month

Oscar Hickes: Longest running hockey tournament on Vancouver Island cancelled

Patrick Murray, one of the organizers for the tournament, broke the sad news on social media.

Most Read